Chapter 44-Decisions

Lost Stars - Adam Levine

Chapter 44—Decisions

When the doctor gave me the permission to go home, I felt a wave of relief washed through me. Just being here in the hospital, with its white walls and its smell, it was making me sick. I didn't want to harbour hatred towards hospitals but I was starting to hate them.

I lost my child and being here in this hospital kept on reminding me about it. I just wanted to get this over with. I just wanted to go home and grieve there. I just wanted to go back to my bed and lay there—alone.

"Christie?" I heard my mom as she knocked on the door of my hospital room. She then walked inside after opening it. She looked at me with a worried expression etched on her face.

I always put that kind of look on her face. Whenever she looked at me, she would always wear that expression especially when we were in this hospital. Sometimes I felt like I was always giving her and my dad an endless list of things to worry about me. After a problem, there comes another. I just wish it would stop but I knew that wasn't how things would work in this so called life.

"I want to go home, mom." I told her, honestly. I sat down at edge of the hospital bed. I was now wearing my own clothes. Finally free of the hospital gown that was so unfashionable. I looked at her and she gave me a small smile. It was the kind of smile she would always give me when I needed a little more courage.

"Andrew's on his way here to pick you up." She told me, walking closer. She then tucked a hair behind my ear as she smiled at me. I knew it was a bit forced. Ever since Andrew's birthday, my mom became so distant to Andrew. I wouldn't blame her. She too was hurt.

"No, mom," I told her, making her look at me in surprise. She furrowed her eyebrows; her hand was still on my head, caressing my hair. "I want to go back home."

She looked at me for a moment; her hand stopped what it was doing. She was giving me a look as if calculating me. After everything that occurred, I never talked to anyone about what my decision would be. No one even dared to talk to me about Tiffany and her baby. Probably, just like me, they, too, were scared of what could happen.

"Is that what you really want?" She asked, as she looked straight at my hazel eyes. I stared back at her green eyes, something only Christian had acquired. Her hand was now on my arm, giving me a comforting squeeze.

I nodded, biting my lip. "It would hurt me even more if I would go back there." I told her, trying to hold back the tears that are now welling in my eyes.

"How about him?" She asked. I knew she was mad at Andrew for everything that happened but I knew her better. She loved Andrew and even though she hated to admit it right now, she was still concerned about him. "What are you thinking, honey?"

"I...I...think it's for the best," I mumbled not being able to hold back the tears in my eyes. "I do love him, mom... I really do...b-but our child is now...gone..."

"Christie," my mom whispered as she enveloped me into a hug. I took comfort in her arms. It made me feel like a child again. It made me miss everything. I wasn't the little daughter they once had anymore. I wasn't that little anymore.

"I...I can't imagine how....how his child would be...," I said, trying to control my sobs. "I don't want Tiffany's child to grow up without a father."

"A-are you trying to—"

"I want to end this marriage, mom," I said when she pulled out from the hug, cutting her off. "Could you please help me with the divorce?"

"B-but, Christie, a-are you su—"