26. Welcome Home

Harry's POV

After spending my week in the hospital with Taylor by my side anytime she wasn’t at school or cheer practice, I finally got to go home today.

Larissa had volunteered to be my home nurse and she would be coming over every morning when she got off to check on me.

Louis still hadn’t come to visit me since he had revealed his little secret to me, and I hated that. I sent him at least 3 text messages a day, and I had tried calling him several times but he hadn’t answered.

After school, Taylor and her mom came directly to the hospital to pick me up. Larissa helped me get into a wheelchair and wheeled me downstairs to Taylor’s car.

While Taylor and Andrea got into the front seats, Larissa carefully helped me get into the car.

“No school for at least another week, and if you walk around MAKE SURE you use crutches. I know you, Harry. Please don’t be stubborn. It’s only a week.” She said.

I nodded, then watched her close the door behind me. I was kind of dreading going home. Had Louis told his parents to kick me out…?

“Hey Harry, my work is only about 5 minutes from your house, so if at anytime this week you need anything, don’t hesitate to call me.” Taylor’s mom said, her eyes still on the road as she drove.

“Thank you, Mrs. Swift.” I replied.

She said nothing more as we drove to the Tomlinson’s house.

When we arrived, Taylor and Andrea helped me walk inside.

Andrea opened the door and I wobbled on my crutches into the house.

When I entered, I saw a banner up in the living room that read, ‘Welcome home, Harry!’ and Louis, his parents, and his sisters all screamed “SURPRISE!”

“Thank you, guys.” I said, smiling.

I stumbled over to the couch and sat down, my wrapped up thigh burning.

When I sat down, Louis instantly sat down next to me.

Was he putting on an act for his family…?

“I know you probably want nothing more than to go straight to your bed, but we wanted to do something for you.” Johannah said, walking over to hug me.

I hugged her back, thanking her.

“Now Louis, can you help him up to his room, please?” she asked.

Louis quickly nodded, and got up off the couch to help me up.

He handed me my crutches and I slowly got up.

“Taylor, you should help them too.” Andrea said.

Taylor was quickly at my other side and they watched me stumble over to the stairs.

“Let me carry you.” Louis said, jumping at the chance.

“Lou, I can walk.” I said, attempting to climb up the first step with my crutches.

I quickly fell, falling back into Taylor and Louis’ arms.

“Okay… Maybe I can’t.” I replied.

Taylor quickly took my crutches from me and Louis picked me up bridal style.

I was surprised at how strong Louis was as he quickly walked up the stairs, being careful not to touch my leg.

We soon entered my bedroom, Taylor a few feet behind us.

Louis set me down on my bed while Taylor set my crutches next to my bed.

“All good?” Louis asked, concerned.

“Yes, thank you, Louis.” I replied, smiling at him.

He sighed.

“Did you tell Taylor?” he quietly asked.

“Yes. She already knew, apparently.” I replied.

Louis looked to Taylor confused.

“It’s uh, it’s a long story. But the way you looked at Harry gave it away for me at least.” Taylor said, putting a reassuring hand on Louis’ shoulder. “It’s okay, Lou.”

Louis sighed again, this time out of relief. He then turned back to me.

“I’m sorry, Harry. I acted like a dick. I was scared of what you would think of me after I kissed you… I didn’t want to. I mean… I did want to. But I didn’t mean to… I understand if you don’t want to be friends anymore.” Louis said, having a hard time looking me directly in the eyes.

“Louis. There is absolutely nothing in this world that would stop me from being your best friend. We’ve always been friends. Sure, this situation might be awkward. But we’ll get over it. I don’t ever want to lose you. I love you, too, Louis. Just not the way you love me.” I said, smiling.

I saw a small smile creep onto Louis face. “Thank you, Harry.”

With that, I leaned in and softly kissed his cheek. For me, it was a friendly thing to do, but for him, I knew it was the proper closing gesture.

And just like that, I knew we were back to being best friends, even though my best friend was in love with me.