chapter 17

Chapter 17:****Vanessa****

There will be a bit of pov changes throughout this chappy. I hate it but it’s gotta be done!

 Apparently Andrew wants to go on a honeymoon. I said no at first, but he insisted and his wish is my command. Anyway, we were just lying around the living room since he’d taken the day off. We were having a lazy moment with nothing important just having a good time talking about anything and everything when the doorbell rang. We both perked up and waited to see if it was uncalled for. It rang again and I got off the sofa.

“Are you expecting someone?” I asked Andrew

“No. are you?” he asked and I answered no. I went to get the door but he stopped me half way, kissed me and went to get it instead. A few minutes passed and I got concerned

“Andrew, who is it?” I called out but there was no response. I went to the door as well and found Andrew in a frozen pose, hand still on the door, looking as if he’s seen a ghost. I held the door and opened it all the way and I’m pretty sure my face mirrored Andrew’s tenfold. Right there in all her glory was no one other than my former best friend Olivia.

She looked different though: she was too skinny, eyes were hollow and dull, and she looked taller than usual. All in all she looked sad and…pitiful. Before any of us could say a word, Andrew took off to God knows where without saying a word, but the look on his face spoke volume.

“Olivia, what are you doing here?” ever the genius one, I asked her

“Err, it’s a long story.” She said and I couldn’t help but notice that her voice was strained and just weird. “Vanessa, my father kicked me out yesterday, I had to sleep at a motel last night.” She said and I felt sorry for her. No wonder she looked deplorable. “I don’t know if you guys can accommodate me for quite sometimes until I can sort myself out.” She said sounding defeated as if we, as in Andrew and I, were her last hope.

Without giving it a second thought, “That’s ok, please come in.” I said while hauling her suitcase in.

“Thank you” she answered gratefully and I just gave her a fake smile. Andrew was nowhere to be found when we got into the house. The evening rolled by and to say that I was horrified after hearing what Jack put her through, would be an understatement.

Dear Jack was a wanted criminal, a fraud, and sex addict.

“He took these red little pills daily and when I asked about them he beat me.” The pills made him harder and he lasted longer than normal. We’d go at it for 3 to 5 hours, and sometimes I passed out and woke up with him still---you know.” she said in tears and I hugged her, the only thing I could do in a situation like this.

“That was not the worst of it. Two months after we eloped, he had the nerve to say that my womanhood was gaping. He couldn’t enjoy himself anymore. So he produced these little grey pills and forced me to take them twice a day.” she sniffed and took a deep breath. “The effect of the pills was a nightmare. They’d patch me up and it’d feel like losing my virginity over and over again. And when I refused to take them, he threatened to take me from behind. You know anally.” She said and chuckled when she glanced at my face. “Sorry, I forget how innocent you are.” She apologized.

I helped her unpack and she settled into Erika’s old bedroom. We shared and a laugh and suddenly she looked serious. “Thank you.  Thank you for being the only true friend. I hope I don’t cause any trouble between you and Andrew.” She said sincerely and I smiled.

“That’s alright. Have some rest and dinner will be ready in an hour.” I said getting out and closing the room behind. Andrew was nowhere to be seen during dinner and this bothered me for some reasons unknown to me. I went to bed but couldn’t sleep and around nine p.m., a distraught and disheveled looking Andrew walked in the room and the first thing he wanted to know was where Olivia was.