Chapter 3

Chapter 3: ****Vanessa****

Olivia came looking for me the morning after the disastrous dinner. I’d stayed away from the yelling and shouting at all cost since I believed in the saying “one who has a small head, one protects it from a wound”. I was currently working out at the gym and she’d pulled me out forcing me to have a late lunch with her. The gym was situated near a chain of fast food restaurants. Ironic, I know. I ordered a strawberry milkshake, and she ordered a burger with fries and a chocolate milkshake. The girl could eat anything, never work out, and never gain one pound. We settled in a booth at the Far East corner of the restaurant and I prepared myself for the long conversation/argument that was about to take place.

She started with feeding me the “heavy traffic story” she’d told everybody but I knew her better than anyone.

“And who do you think you’re fooling? I know you were with Jack. You can’t go without that guy’s trouble for a week!” I said in a bored voice

“You can’t blame me, can you? The guy’s just too exciting for words!” Olivia, my best friend said in a dreamy voice and I scoffed

“You know this game you’re playing is highly risky, don’t you?” I asked with a serious face and she had the gull to play dumb.

“What game?” she asked

“Oh please. Olivia, spare me the pretense! You can save that for your parents! This whole threesome between you, Jack, and Drew! I just don’t get it” I said.

“Look, I get it! I know he’s not good for me, and I know I should break it off with him; but the truth is, the guy is too exciting and he’s so much fun!” she said with ridiculous dreamy look. “The other day I went to break it off, and he suddenly proposed!” she continued.

“Of course you told him what to do with his proposal, right?” I impatiently asked.

“I kind of didn’t say anything” she said guiltily and I dropped my shoulders. There was no hope for her after all!

“If I say no, it’ll break his heart! He’s like a lost puppy!” she said exasperated.

“Then let someone else find him!” I said throwing my hands in the air

“Ness, you don’t understand!” she said trying to get me on her side. “I really, really love Jack. I could never love Drew the way I love Jack.” She said exasperated

‘Let me ask you something: have you ever met someone who made your world spin, and your heart stop?” she asked and I rolled my eyes. I was a virgin since guys like hot loaded chicks and I was neither. She knew this but I guess she was in Jack cloud to even notice what she was saying.

I pretended to think about it and rolled my eyes when she looked at with a hopeful look

“Hell no! I’d rather have my feet planted firmly on the ground!” I guess I busted her bubble I because she glared at me with sagging shoulders.

“How could you ever prefer that unserious guy to…” that’s as far as I went because she finished it for me.

“…a guy that represents security right? You think I don’t know that? Of course I know that! It’s just that my head tells me to go with him but my heart tells me differently. Jack is so amazing! He listens to me; he understands me, and boy, boy, that man is a great, great kisser!” she said putting emphasis on “great”, and I just rolled my eyes.

“Uhmm….you’ve got it real bad sister, but let me advise you. You better wake up because Jack is nothing but a dreamer. He’s a guy who has not just his head in the clouds, but his entire body” I said.