𝟢𝟦𝟢,𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞

As Newt's finishing his task of doing the dishes and cleaning some things in the cafeteria up, I've decided to go paint again, all on my own

The background is full of sunshine and dandelions. I paint a red and white picnic blanket. On there sits a boy. He's drawing. A book lies next to him. A plate with cookies and brownies. I make it clear that he has given the dandelions water before by adding a watering can beside the blanket. The boy has blonde hair and is wearing a beige shirt. You can't see his face.

Got the point?

I swear I didn't mean to paint Newt specifically. But when I started with the sun, it reminded me of him. And then the dandelions reminded me of the time he told me he likes gardening. Cookies and brownies because he loves them. He likes to draw and read, too. And I think beige looks really nice on Newt.

When it's done, I take a step back and squint my eyes at the painting. It's not perfect, but I can't tell what's not right about it.

Exactly. It's simply perfect; Newt is in it. I'm just not able to portray how perfect he is, which makes it less perfect.

I place the canvas somewhere else so it can dry, then decide to paint more. I'm not sure what at first. It takes a while to think of it, though when I do decide what I want to paint, I realize the picture is what I've been thinking about the whole two weeks since it happened.

I start. I sketch, I add the regular colors, then details, shadows, highlights. I blend colors, I get the wrong ones, and I retry. All the way until I got it.

Again, Newt's back. His arms wrapped around Lili. Her eyes squeezed shut, a tear dripping down. The cafeteria is behind them. I paint the exact blue shirt Newt had been wearing and the sage green blouse Lelia wore. It fit her beautifully. I think it's a new piece.

Before I know it, I'm done again. I have no idea how much time has passed, but Newt must be done with the dishes and cleaning by now.

Just then, there's a knock behind me and I spin around, trying my best not to seem startled.

"Hey." Newt smiles. His head tilts to the side as he inspects me. "Sorry, didn't want to scare you."

Slowly, he walks closer. He's wearing black shorts, which are cut just above his knee, and a white T-Shirt. Above that, he wears an open, beige button-up. I recognize the shirt as one I painted; some small black details in the corner. Matches with his shorts.

Then I quickly look back up at him. "Hi. I just finished my painting."

Newt looks past me, his eyes lighting up, though that could also be my imagination. "Oh, wow. That's amazing, Lynn."