Chapter 32: The Shards of the Evil God

I did more work around the guild, and Zath looked minorly disappointed. I guess I did the right thing.

"Rose, are you sure you should be working so much?"

"I lazed out yesterday, so I should work more today."

"That's not a go-"

"Anything else for me to do?"

"There's no way-"

Mammon's jaw dropped as he beheld the literal shimmering guild hall. He had no missions, so he asked if I could clean it up, so I went a little overboard.

"Rose, this is insane."

"Yeah, I know I went a little overboard."

"A little? ROSE, I GAVE YOU THAT JOB TEN MINUTES AGO!!!"

"That long? Dang I am being lazy today as well."

"Rose."

"I should go around town and ask if anyone needs help."

"Rose!"

"Maybe Gallson and Thalias need a few scales?"

"Rose!!!"

"Or I could help Jal-"

"ROSE!!!"

I jumped.

"What?"

"Why are you working so hard? Even you don't normally do this much. You are making us worried."

"I... I can't tell you."

"I get it... but listen, whatever it is probably won't be solved by killing yourself through overworking."

"I... I'm sorry."

"*sigh* Don't be, just take a break. Walk around town. Visit the park. I gave you the day off, so enjoy it."

"Okay..."

I walked out of the guild hall with a sad expression on my face. I guess I panicked since realizing that Sloth made me less empathetic. My worst fear is that I would hurt the innocent, yet I feel a pull to gather more shards. I don't want to be the bad guy.

Jalad walked by.

"I heard Mammon yelling. I'm guessing he also told you that you are overworking?"

"Yes."

"Good. You seriously had us all worried."

"Jalad?"

"Yes?"

"If I told you to kill me, would you, do it?"

"What? Why?"

"I'm just asking."

"And what would happen if I didn't in this scenario."

"The world being destroyed."

"I don't know what kind of nightmare you had, but I'll answer you. If you told me to kill you, or the world would be destroyed. I guess I'd just save you and the world."

"But what if you couldn't?"

"Hmm. Well, that will never happen. If you are having nightmares about when you got bloodlusted, don't worry. Whenever you are in trouble. I will save you. After all, we are best friends."

"I thought Dallel was your best friend."

"Eh, we are closer to brothers than friends."

"Ah, well, I just want you to promise that if I tell you to, you will kill me."