Chapter 16: Dragonet of Death

"I thought you said we were numbered at 9?"

"Did I say dragons? No, we are at 10 dragons, but in terms of siblings we are 9."

"Tricky."

"What's she like?"

Thalia had a sad smile.

"I guess I could still be an aunty."

"Thalia, listen I'm sure you could use your skill again, maybe even find a mate here."

"Maybe."

"At least there's hope."

We all nodded. Dragons were so close to extinction that our father and mother were the last. Even as battle hungry as they were, they hid for 1000 years, trying to raise many dragons. The fact that one of us now had offspring meant we had hope.

"How old is she?"

"She's almost 10 now."

"That's so cool, I want to meet her."

"I'm sure she'll challenge you to a duel."

"Way too young."

"Hah, you're probably the only one who'd say that."

"I guess."

From birth I had to fight to survive, in a nest is far more dangerous than you'd imagine. From the get-go, I had to spar Ravi, the strongest of us. I lost and was almost killed. I had to hunt my own food and build shaky alliances. My other siblings took to the lifestyle and would likely put their children through the same training.

"When I nest, my kids will live kind lives."

"You are an odd dragon."

We shared a laugh.

"But, no I did let her have a year to get her bearings before I started training. My wife was shocked."

"I'd imagine."

"What's the kid's aspect?"

"Necrosis if you'll believe it. The polar opposite of me."

"Huh, so she's strong."

"Yep."

Necrosis, or death magic, was forbidden in many nations, but as it was a draconic aspect, there wasn't much the elves could do, especially after Elren explained that disallowing a dragon to use their aspect was like stopping them from breathing.

"She focuses on killing, not revival, but we've found that if we mix our aspects, we can fully revive the dead."

"Incredible."

"Yep, anyway we should head in now."

A guard stood at the gate.

"Your majesty, who are these people."

"My siblings, I've invited them to stay for a bit."

"Yes, sir!"

The gates opened and we went inside.

"Daddy!"

A small girl ran at Elren with a wide grin, but all 3 of us noticed the attack.

"She is young."

"And inexperienced."

Elren grabbed his daughter's arm and flipped her, making the knife fall and bounce off of her neck.

"If that were enchanted, you'd be dead. Be more careful and hide your stance better. A surprise attack will never work otherwise."

"I get it."