14 How Dare You

I was startled by Joe's sudden action.

As soon as I realized what he had done, my anger surged once again.

My wolf immediately went into a defensive stance as I stared at him warily. "Let go! You have no right to stop me!"

"As a matter of fact, I do," Joe's expression turned grim, and at that moment, he seemed even scarier than my father. "Have you forgotten? I will be the Alpha of the pack after marrying Cathy. I have the authority to order you to stay here!"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him.

"You, the bastard who uses women, have the audacity to say such things to me?" I mocked, disregarding Joe's livid face. I forcefully pulled my arm out of his grip. "Get lost. Disappear from my sight before my patience runs out, or else I'll have my lawyer serve you a subpoena right now!"

After speaking, I sadly lowered my head and looked at the red mark left on my wrist.

I must remember to disinfect and clean it properly when I get back.

"A lawyer?" Joe sneered. Clearly, he didn't believe my words. Because we had been together for years, he knew my situation just as well.

He asked menacingly, "I've never known that you had your own personal lawyer. Claire, you don't really think you can be with Prince Louis, do you? I have even heard rumors about him... He will devour you until there's nothing left!"

I collected myself and stared at him, asking, "It's funny. Yesterday, you proposed to Cathy in front of everyone. And now you're pretending to kindly advise me? Are you considering my well-being?"

Joe's gaze flickered for a moment, and I could tell he was desperately thinking of how to explain it to me. "I... I have my reasons, Claire. Please believe me. I don't actually want to hurt you...When I become alpha, I'll find a way. Maybe a pack can have two lunas."

Unfortunately, I thought coldly. I didn't believe a single word.

"Joe! What are you saying?"

We were too far from the entrance, and Joe deliberately lowered his voice. Therefore, Cathy and the others couldn't hear our conversation clearly. But evidently, the sight of the two of us communicating triggered Cathy's sensitive nerves.

Cathy rushed over and pulled Joe to her side. She glared at me fiercely, like a mad she-wolf. "You want to leave, don't you? Then why aren't you going?"

I innocently shrugged my shoulders. "Please, see clearly who's actually preventing me from leaving?"

We both looked at Joe. Seeing Joe's pursed lips as he observed my appearance, an evil idea suddenly came to my mind. This idea clouded my judgment, and I couldn't wait to see their fascinating reactions afterward—

So, in front of everyone, I made a bold move that I would never have done before.

I adjusted my posture, trying to make myself look more charming. Then I reached out and tucked the strands of wind-blown hair behind my ear, revealing a gentle and sweet smile towards Joe.

"Joe," I asked him softly, my gaze gentle and filled with sadness, while dark thoughts swirled inside me, "You still love me, don't you?"

I could clearly see Joe's stiff expression slowly relaxing. He stared at me blankly, somewhat at a loss, standing frozen in place. His hand at his side trembled nervously. I knew he must have wanted to rush over and hold me.

But his fiancée was still standing beside him.

When I asked that question, the expression on Cathy's face made me feel so good. It felt so good that I almost couldn't control my urge to laugh. But not yet, this wasn't enough for me to get my revenge.

So I clenched my teeth and continued to perform with all my might.

I lowered my head, as if deeply hurt by Joe's silence, clutching the hem of my skirt, my slender shoulders trembling slightly. I even considered squeezing out a tear from my dry eyes—but because I couldn't bear to cry in front of Joe and Cathy, I ultimately gave up.

Even though I didn't shed any tears, Joe had already been conquered by my performance.

After breaking free from the shackles of emotions, I saw through him completely. Joe had an extreme arrogance, always believing that no woman could escape his charm. The expression of reluctance on my face right now would surely reinforce that belief.

"Claire, I..."

Finally, Joe couldn't control himself and took a step forward, wanting to embrace me for comfort. As I noticed his reaching hand, my body stiffened. A disgust surged from within me, and I forcefully slapped away his hand once again, evading his touch.

"Claire, you despicable woman!"

"Claire!"

My father... Mr. Gambino's and Cathy's voices rang out almost simultaneously. But it didn't matter, I thought. I will never be threatened by anyone anyway.

I sighed, finally lifting my head. I looked at the stunned Joe and the angry Cathy, flashing them a radiant and audacious smile.

"This is the last gift I gave you as your sister before I left," I giggled, leaning on the handle of my suitcase and laughing so hard, "Do you understand now? The man you went to great lengths to snatch is nothing more than a dog that will run to someone else's feet with just a wave."

"Now, Cathy, do you know what it feels like to be betrayed by the person you love?"

Joe's eyes instantly turned red.

"You dare to play me!" He finally realized that my performance earlier was just an act and roared in uncontrollable anger. The fake facade he had put on completely disappeared, and the dominant alpha aura overwhelmed me.

"You b.itch!"

Joe's eyes were filled with bloodshot fury, his muscles tensed, and he charged at me like a raging beast.

He wanted to bite into my neck!

My pupils contracted, and instinctively, I took a step back. But when I tried to escape, my cheek suddenly collided with a broad, hard chest.

The familiar smell made my heart race wildly.

I covered my nose, held my breath, and lifted my head.

Sure enough, that familiar and handsome face appeared before my eyes once again.