38 Hot Dogs

I stumbled along behind Louis. It wasn't until we had walked for ten minutes that his anger seemed to dissipate gradually. He slowed down, turning to look at me. "Aren't we going back?" I ventured, "The event doesn't seem to be over yet, does it?" "Maria can handle the rest of the activities by herself. I've already discussed it with Chris," Prince Louis replied. His brows were still furrowed. He turned to me with a questioning tone, "What were you and Garfield doing down there? Why were you so close to him?" I felt utterly puzzled and slightly hurt, "Well, he was sitting right beside me! He asked me some strange questions, trying to provoke me. How was I supposed to know what he intended? I was just talking to his daughter at that time." After a moment, I muttered under my breath, "I didn't say anything when you participated in the parent-child activities with Maria, and you still ended up suspecting me." Louis coughed. He fell silent for a few seconds, wisely avoiding that topic. "Anyway, you'd better stay away from Garfield." "Why?" I asked, defiantly. "Because this man is dangerous, in every sense of the word." Louis stared into my eyes, his voice tinged with concern as he cautioned, "I haven't yet inherited the throne and don't have complete control over all affairs within the country. Garfield was the captain of the Royal Knights, under my brother's command. After my brother's death, he lay in the hospital for nearly half a year, and everyone thought he would die. However, not only did he recover, he became the youngest advisor to the Elder Council within a month." "He executed many people after his recovery. His methods were ruthless and brutal. He's a ruthless creature who values his own interests above all else. Many say he is a hidden knife and dog of the royal family but always ready to turn against his master. He has set his sights on you because of me. Do you understand?" As I gazed at our holding hands, I thought about the way Garfield had looked at Kitty. Even though I didn't like the guy, I still felt that he wasn't completely cold-hearted. After a moment, I asked softly, "Will you protect me?" "Of course," Prince Louis answered without hesitation, "I swear it on my life." "Then is there a problem?" I raised an eyebrow at him, "Let's go. Where are you headed next? How about having lunch together?" "Do you really understand what I mean?" Prince Louis asked with suspicion. But he could never say no to me. So, after a few seconds, he sighed, giving in. "Fine, let's grab something to eat. What do you feel like having?" "I know there is an amazing hot dog place!" I exclaimed excitedly, "It's nearby! They have the most incredible yellow mustard cheese hot dog. That's so delicious!" Prince Louis froze in place. I didn't tug at him but turned my head in confusion, "What's wrong? Don't you like hot dogs?" He stood silent for a moment and then whispered, "I've never had one." "What?" I widened my eyes in astonishment, "You've never even had a hot dog? How about hamburgers?" He shook his head as well. I looked at him incredulously, "So, you grew up on Michelin-starred meals and vegetable salads? Can those things even fill you up?" "More or less," he answered vaguely, "Alfred... he emphasizes nutrition when it comes to diet. My father never let me eat fast food when I was young, fearing safety issues." That's when I remembered he was a prince. Foods like hot dogs probably didn't even make it onto his regular menu. "In that case, forget it," I said, somewhat disappointed, "We can go to a more formal restaurant for lunch. Do you have any recommendations?" "No need," Prince Louis shook his head, "The chances of someone poisoning an unplanned meal are quite low. Let's go to that hot dog place you mentioned. I'm curious to try something high in carbs and calories. It's for this one time only and just don't tell Alfred when we get back." He seemed to have calmed down by now and even playfully winked at me. I smiled, "Alright. But I swear, once you've tried it, you'll never forget it." We bantered and laughed as we got into the car. The driver considerately raised the partition for us. For the upcoming journey, Louis and I changed out of our formal attire in the car. I removed the diamond necklace and pearl hairpin, letting my golden hair flow naturally. Although the reflection in the mirror was no longer adorned in nobility and glamour, I felt more at ease and homely. It was me, just an ordinary girl. This was my true self. I turned to look at Prince Louis beside me, who seemed a bit awkward as he struggled into the oversized lettered hoodie I had bought for him. He was currently wrestling with the belt of his jeans. I giggled and took this opportunity to tickle his sides. Prince Louis shot me a glare, abandoned the belt, and pressed me against the car window, kissing me fiercely. "Minus one day," he finally finished when I was feeling dizzy from the kisses, announcing it with a cold tone. "What?" It took me a moment to realize what he was saying, and my cheeks turned instantly red. Prince Louis smirked mischievously, his blue eyes looking down at me from above, like a top predator toying with its prey. "Feeling scared now?" he asked. "No way," I retorted with a stubborn pout.
"Be careful, you might end up begging for mercy. Did you forget my skills from the cellar? And my member?" Prince Louis whispered into my ear with a seductive tone, "I'm really looking forward to seeing you beg for mercy while crying. By the way, I won't be swayed by your moan." Blushing, I pushed him away, "Alright, that's enough... Are we almost there?" Prince Louis reluctantly let go of me. I quickly tidied my hair and turned my head to look out of the car window. Familiar streets were filled with pedestrians. As noon approached, the hot dog stand had a long line just like before. "Let's go then." Prince Louis put on his sunglasses and mask, adjusted his cap, and then opened the car door. Both of us slipped out of the Maserati like thieves from an alley, taking our place at the end of the queue. People ahead of us turned around to give us a glance. I swear I saw the expression in their eyes saying, "Where did these two crazies come from?" But I couldn't help bursting into laughter. Beside me, Prince Louis looked at me helplessly, yet through his sunglasses, I could see the amusement in his eyes too. I leaned against him while laughing, took out my phone, and switched to selfie mode. I snapped a picture of us on the street. Although no one would ever recognize us in the photo, I still set it as my wallpaper. "Enjoying yourself?" Prince Louis hugged my waist and lowered his voice. In the past, when he wore suits, he looked handsome and dignified, an invincible presence. But now, in a loose street-style hoodie, he was covered from head to toe, exuding a casual and attractive charm. I gazed at him, nodding, and then tiptoed to plant a kiss on his cheek through our masks. "Absolutely," I replied, "I hope every day could be as joyful as today." The sunlight was just right on the street as I nestled in his embrace, blowing dandelion seeds into the air. The queue slowly moved forward. Twenty minutes later, it was finally our turn. After getting our hot dogs, neither Prince Louis nor I felt like returning to the car just yet. So, we found a less crowded park and sat on a bench, chatting and eating. As I expected, after tasting a bite with a furrowed brow, he couldn't stop himself. He devoured the hot dog at a speed that might have given Alfred a heart attack. We sat on the bench, competing to see who could find more hidden bodyguards in the seemingly deserted park. It was a rather silly game, but we enjoyed it thoroughly. In the end, I found two, while Prince Louis found five. "You said there were a total of six bodyguards, right?" I asked curiously, "You couldn't even find the last one?" Prince Louis nodded, "He's a personal guard my father trained for me, and he's blind." I blinked in astonishment, "Blind? Can a blind person be a bodyguard?" "Don't underestimate him. Even though his eyes can't see, his hearing is three times more acute than that of an ordinary werewolf," Prince Louis chuckled. "I used to play hide and seek with him in the castle when I was a child, and I never once found him. If he wants to stay hidden, unless he reveals himself, no one can locate him." "Can I see what he looks like?" I asked curiously. Bodyguards already possessed more acute senses than humans. To be blind and have hearing three times sharper than an ordinary werewolf. To be honest, I couldn't fathom what kind of world he lived in. Prince Louis smiled. He used a voice even lower than usual and spoke in the silence of the park, "Hawk, did you hear her? She wants to meet you." I was about to comment on the fact that there were no people nearby, and his voice was so soft that it seemed impossible for the other person to hear it. Suddenly, I heard a raspy response from behind us, like a ghost. "I heard her."