Moving on

Reign
The salon
July 10th, 3:30pm

After spending a couple of nights with King at the hotel, I decided it was time to go home and have a conversation with my sister, Sierra. It didn't go as smoothly as I hoped, but deep down, I know she's only trying to look out for me. Sierra was dead set on King not returning to her house, and I wasn't about to be anywhere he wasn't welcomed. I made that clear to her, and the tension between us only intensified. I know how to push Sierra's buttons, and threatening to move out was enough to make her compromise. By the end of our conversation, Sierra agreed that King could stay a few nights out of the week, but that was the end of it. I made some apartment inquiries that night, submitting a few pre-applications online for places close to the salon.

The next day I went in for a couple tours and the first one I saw was spacious with some nice ass amenities but a little too pricey. The second one was smaller and more affordable, but not in the nicest neighborhood. Despite that, I decided to apply for it. I filled out all the paperwork and submitted my bank statements, but it had been two days, and I was still waiting to hear back.

As tension went up between Sierra and me, the strain in my relationship with Kai had completely subsided in the aftermath of Tez's shooting. Kai leaned on me to be her rock as she stood by his side, hoping for the best. I listened to Kai talk day and night about the first and only boy she ever loved as she sat next to him, waiting for him to wake up. I knew she was in love with him, but her dedication to him during his recovery made it even more evident. Tez was still in the hospital, but thankfully, out of the danger zone, and Kai stayed by his side, leaving only to shower and change. She barely ate unless Amber or I brought her food, practically forcing her to eat. Now that Tez was awake, I could finally see Kai visibly relaxing, worrying less as the days passed and he continued to improve.

And then there's King. I've been worried about my nigga for real. Things between us ain't changed much, but I could see the gears turning in his head as he struggled to cope with almost losing his brother. With Kai adamant about not leaving the hospital until Tez was discharged, King had been spending more and more time with the niggas he grew up with. I made him share his location with me, not out of jealousy, but out of genuine concern that something might happen to him. King tried to reassure me that he was fine, but after everything that happened, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease. That's why this whole apartment situation had me stressed the fuck out. If I had my own place, at least I'd worry less, knowing King had somewhere safe to go at night.

"Aite, lemme call you back, baby," King's voice crackled through the AirPod in my left ear, interrupting my thoughts as I finished braiding down my client's hair in my chair.

"No, the fuck you tryna hang up fo'?" I retorted, grabbing a brand new needle and threading it, preparing to sew in this girl's 30-inch weave. Not being able to see King as much as I'd like made me a little clingy, and there were hella times I'd have him stay on the phone with me, even if we didn't say anything. I'd be working or at home, and he'd be with his friends, but I just wanted to be connected in some way.

"I just got to Mook's house, and it's hella niggas ova' here. I ain't finna be able to hear you," he explained, and I rolled my eyes, not understanding the issue.

"So?" I replied.

"I needa let my phone charge too, it's 'boutta die," he added, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

"I feel like you lyin', but whatever, nigga," I muttered, not finding the situation amusing.

"We been on the phone fo' like three hours, Rei," he pointed out.

"And?" I shrugged, unimpressed, "Keep yo' location on".

"Of course, baby. I luh you," he said, and I fought to keep the frown on my face, but I loved when he called me baby, and I really do love this nigga.