Toxic

Reign
May 30th.1:30am

As I sat outside in Antonio's royal blue G wagon, it felt like a much-needed escape after that intense game Kai had suggested. The tension inside had been thick, making stepping out a welcome relief. In the silence, the only audible sound was Rylo Rodrigues' "Set Me Free" playing softly in the background. My head was still spinning from all the shots I had taken earlier, but the cool air from the vents was slowly beginning to ease the feeling. Inside the car, the darkness was almost complete due to the illegal tints, but the faint glow from the stereo and dashboard lights provided just enough illumination to create an intriguing ambiance.

In the dimly lit interior of Antonio's royal blue G wagon, the tension between us simmered beneath the surface. He leaned back in his seat, studying me with an inquisitive look as I reclined in the passenger seat, my mind wandering.

"So wassup with you and green eyes?" he finally broke the silence, his curiosity apparent in his voice.

I sighed, my annoyance growing as I responded, "None dat's ma homie."

"I can't tell," he probed further, not ready to let the topic go.

"Nah, he straight, an he got a girl. We just cool," I replied, trying to maintain my composure, though doubt nagged at me.

"I don't know. That kiss though," he persisted, his words needling at me.

"I'm inna car wit you right now, and he inna house. You finna ask me 'bout anotha nigga the whole time we out here?" I snapped, my patience wearing thin. I just wanted to enjoy the moment, but he seemed fixated on this topic.

"Nah, I'm just not for the unnecessary drama, feel me?" he conceded.

"I just told you what it was, though, right?" I shot back, my frustration evident as I gave him a pointed look. I was growing tired of this conversation and wanted to change the subject.

"Yeah, you did," he acknowledged, relenting momentarily.

"You brought me out here for a reason?" I questioned, my mood turning sour. I felt like I could be in my own bed right now, away from this conversation that seemed to revolve around someone else.

He seemed to realize he was pushing too hard, and the atmosphere in the car grew more tense. I decided to light up a blunt, not bothering to ask if it was okay because, at this point, I didn't care, and I needed it to ease my growing frustration and impatience.

As I took another drag from the blunt, Antonio's words hung in the air, and I mulled over his question. It had been a while since I'd been in a situation like this, trying to get to know someone new.

"I really just wanted to see if we could catch a vibe. I'm tryna get to know you, see what you be on," he explained, his eyes fixed on mine.

I exhaled a plume of smoke, considering my response. My life had become somewhat monotonous since moving in with my sister, and I had settled into a routine of work and home. I realized I might come across as boring.

"I'on be on shit forreal, I really be on some work an home type shit. What you be on?" I admitted, and when he looked at me skeptically, I simply shrugged. It was the truth.

"I just graduated from UNLV," he continued, giving me a glimpse into his life. "Me and my best friend started a clothing brand a year ago, and I got a couple investment properties in Vegas too, so I really just be chasin' a bag."