Stuck in The Crossfire

Reign
3:30pm

My heart was still buzzing with the serenity of our time spent together surrounded by the most beauty this spring provided. Minutes turned to hours of us exploring each other in the clear waters that felt like they somehow had healing powers. King kissed me differently and every touch I felt in my soul.

Finally deciding it was time to leave, I followed King out of the water to where our belongings had been discarded when I noticed the shift in King's demeanor. His usual cool demeanor was replaced with frantic movements, his brows furrowing with worry as he grabbed his stuff, including his phone. My concern grew as I watched him scroll through his notifications, his expression morphing into sheer panic.

"What? Some happen, King?" I asked, my voice laced with worry as I quickly dried myself off and reached for my clothes.

King's hands shook as he scrolled through his phone, his eyes widening in disbelief.

"Shit, I got over 35 missed calls from my brother, 20 from Kai, and Amber called like 10 times," he muttered, his voice trembling with anxiety.

My heart sank at the desperation in his tone. "The fuck? Kai and Amber blowin my shit up too" I tell him seeing all the missed calls on my phone too.

King's fingers darted across the screen as he tried calling his brother back, but there was no answer. He attempted Kai next, then Amber, but no one picked up, leaving a heavy feeling in my chest. Something bad happened!

"What the fuck, now they ain't answerin'," King muttered, his frustration evident as he got dressed hella fast and almost tripped over his feet trying to put on his shorts.

A sense of helplessness washed over me as I watched King's panic rise. "Lemme try," I offered unlocking my phone, nerves creeping into my voice.

But King was already bolting towards the path we came from, leaving me scrambling to keep up with his pace. We reached his car hella fast, and I could see the worry on King's face as he fumbled with his keys.

"King, calm the fuck down!" I begged, my heart racing from chasing after him and not knowing what's going on as he revved the engine, his hands trembling uncontrollably.

King's eyes were wild with panic as he slammed his phone down on the dashboard, his voice shaky as he tried calling his brother again.

"Fuck!" He cursed when there was no answer and turned to me.

"Try callin' Kai," he instructed, urgency in his voice as he tossed me the phone.

My fingers shook as I dialed Kai's number, fear increasing with each unanswered ring. But on the third try, Kai finally picked up, her voice breathless with emotion.

"Kai, what the fuck bruh? Why nobody answerin they phone?" King asked, voice full with frustration.

Kai's words rushed out in a flurry, tears evident in her voice. "King, it's Tez... Some niggas caught him comin out the store and started spraying. He got hit 5 times. He been in surgery for over an hour, and we ain't heard from the doctor yet," she explained, her voice breaking toward the end of her sentence.

My heart dropped at the news. "Oh shit, he gone be aite though, right?" I whispered, barely able to comprehend the gravity of the situation.

But before Kai could respond, King snatched the phone from me, his own voice rushed as he spoke.

"Kai, where Q? What hospital? I'm on my way," King said, determined in his tone despite the situation.

Kai's voice cracked as she answered. "We at St. Mary's, and Q a whole ass mess right now. We all scared as fuck, King... I'ono what to do," she confessed, her sobs audible.