3. Morning?

I didn't see or hear Dan on Sunday. He kept his door closed, and I obviously wouldn't go there.

It was around 3pm, when I decided I should go out. I was in London, I should go visit the city like any other teenager would.

Mr. howell explained how I would get there, and I made notes on my phone. Since the 'Oister card' was included in the price I was paying, I had it already.

It wasn't snowing, but It was still freezing, since we were in the middle of January. I took pictures with my phone while I walked, even the streets were beautiful.

I got to the London Eye easily. I was used to Public Transport even though I didn't use it back home - I had gone to New York and Paris, where I learned how the tube worked.

I didn't spend much time with sightseeing, to be honest. Just enough time to take some pictures that would never be posted anywhere and eat something. I was alone. A L O N E. And I hated myself, so how would I have fun alone? I saw many other tourists with their family or friends, and it just made me sad. *it's just your second day, you'll make friends in school* I told myself.

~~

Since I hadn't talked to Dan on Sunday, I had no idea what time I should wake up on Monday. School started at 9, which wasn't normal to  me - my lessons started at 7am in Brazil.

I had no idea how long it took to get to the school, if I should take a shower before, if they ate breakfast together and what time, etc.

I decided I would set up the alarm to 7AM.

When I woke up, Dan's door was closed, but I could hear my host parents talking downstairs.

"Morning, phil" - Mrs. howell said as I entered the kitchen.

"Morning"

"You can make yourself at home. Dan normally eats cereal but you can eat whatever you want" - She said, leaving me alone with my host dad.

First, I felt awkward. It wasn't my house, I couldn't go and open the fridge. And even at my own house, I never prepared anything for myself.

"Go on Phil. You know where everything is. This is your house too, now." - he said, smiling at me and feeling how awkward I am. He quickly got his keys and said "I'm going to work. Have a good first day at school. Try and make some friends"

For just one second, I felt special. Mr. Howell said something to me that my parents never said. Even though it was a small thing like 'have a good day at school'.

I got the cereal, and was already eating when Dan entered the kitchen.

"morning" I said.

He looked really tired, like he hadn't spent the whole Sunday sleeping. He got a plate and sat at the table,  in front of  me.

"hey" he said, not actually making eye contact. He got his cereal and milk, and I looked down at my own food. "how do you say good morning in portuguese?" he asked, after a moment of silence.

"Bom dia." I answered

He tried to repeat after me, but failed, then I said the words slowly so he could understand.  He tried again, and failed again.

"this won't work" he said, chuckling a bit. I noticed he had dimples.

I didn't know what to say, so I continued eating, and he did the same.

"Phil, you can take a shower now. Jason is coming here so I probably won't do it." - he said, while we both went back to the third floor.

"um... Okay then. What time do we leave?"