chapter twenty-three

┏━━━━━━━◦𑁍◦━━━━━━━━┓
the beginning:
ICE CREAM &
COOKIES !
┗━━━━━━━◦𑁍◦━━━━━━━━┛

━━✥◈✥━━

WITH THE SOFT HUMMING As Seiren carefully placed one foot in front of the other, she found herself surrounded by two of her favorite people, Inojin and Sarada. The hospital hallway stretched out before them, its sterile walls and tiled floors illuminated by the soft glow of overhead lights. The quiet ambiance was punctuated only by the gentle hum of machinery and the distant murmur of hospital staff.

Inojin held Seiren's left arm, his grip firm but gentle, providing her with the balance and support she needed. He offered her an encouraging smile, his concern for her evident in the way he walked in sync with her, adjusting his pace to match hers. "Take your time," he said softly, his voice carrying a reassuring note.

On her other side, Sarada held Seiren's right arm, her expression a mix of determination and empathy. Sarada's steady presence was a source of comfort for Seiren, who leaned on her both physically and emotionally. "You're doing great, Seiren," Sarada whispered, her eyes filled with pride for her younger twin's resilience.

Seiren let out a shaky breath before continuing to stretch every limb she felt weak in her body. It was sickening but it'll be worth it in the end, she doesn't want to be weak and be left behind.

"Seiren!" her head immediately shot up and smiled brightly, Shikadai smiled in relief as he saw Seiren with Inojin and Sarada by her side, he jogged ahead towards her with a bouquet in his hand, carefully eyeing it as he ran slightly, not wanting to destroy the flowers that he have hand-picked from Inojin's mom flower shop.

It was a cue for Inojin and Sarada to no longer hold the girl as they felt her shift to walk toward Shikadai with much effort. Seiren winced slightly but that didn't falter her determination to reach Shikadai, reaching her arms to him and he caught her right on time before her knees could even hit the ground.

He laughs, finally able to hold her into an embrace after a week. "Shika!" she exclaims, cuddling her head on his neck as she embraces the boy with glee, her laughter fills the empty hallway, happy seeing one of her friends that she dreaded to see.

He then pulled away yet her arms were still holding his elbows, he held her waist as he handed the flowers to her "For you. I picked it up this morning at Ino-san's shop." he said bashfully before coughing slightly, to ease off the beating adrenaline of his heart "I-I'm sorry... I should have visited you but Mom forbids me to come to see you after what happened..." he muttered.

He recalled how Temari had given him the stink eye after knowing what had happened to Seiren and how he was involved with the issue. She confiscated his Game Boy and wouldn't talk to him for a day and it did bother him, knowing he was used to her complaints and yapping. She demands him to stay inside the house and reflects on his actions and it did make guilt eat him alive.

Seiren giggled "It's alright! You're here now, that what's matters to me!"

His eyes soften before patting her hair and smiling towards Sarada and Inojin "Yo!" he greets, Sarada smirks whereas Inojin sticks his tongue out "Hey stupid."

Three of them watched Seiren, in Shikadai's arms, coo at the flowers in awe. "Let's get you back in your room." Sarada insisted and Shikadai gladly held Seiren as Inojin held the flowers. "You guys are like her guard dogs." Sarada snorted and walked beside them. None of them seemed to comment which brought more amusement on her case. "Look Sa-chan! Lilies!" Seiren handed her one stem of a lily flower.