chapter twenty

┏━━━━━━━◦𑁍◦━━━━━━━━┓
the beginning:
CONFLICT BETWEEN
BROTHERS, RESOLVED
┗━━━━━━━◦𑁍◦━━━━━━━━┛

━━✥◈✥━━

A SOFT HUM filled the room. Gentle fingertips brush the strands of his hair as he sleeps soundly on the futon that was brought into the room. A soft peck was placed on Sarada's temple as she slept beside Inojin, tucking the blanket further to give warmth to their bodies, Sakura smiled at the sight. She refrained from giggling when Keishi slept on one of the seats in the room next to the kids, sitting so uncomfortably with a slight drool on his lips as he slightly snores.

Trying not to make any sound, she picked up the empty bottles of water beside them and the empty cups that were once filled with food that they had eaten a while ago. "Aren't you supposed to be asleep?" Sakura's heart almost leaped out of her chest when she heard a sudden voice behind her.

Kaizen quirked a brow as he walked in, closing the door behind him before taking the trash from her hands and placing it in the bin just beside the door. Sakura took a shaky breath before smiling "You know I can't sleep..." She looked behind her shoulder, saddening eyes gazing upon her youngest daughter on the hospital bed "Especially in situations like this."

Her voice was a gentle whisper, fear was evident. Her behavior shows it all. "At least try to take naps. You've been working all day." Kaizen said, grabbing a blanket and tossing it to Keisha's unconscious state who hummed to feel warmth engulfing his figure. Sakura said nothing but walked towards the empty bed across, sat in, and couldn't help but travel her fingertips on the scalp of her hair, tugging it frustratedly.

"Did I make the wrong decision by letting her attend the academy?" Sakura's voice quivered as she voiced the haunting question that had been eating away at her. Kaizen's eyes widened in surprise, the weight of her fear striking him deeply.

"I-I... I'm scared," she admitted, her voice trembling with emotion. Sakura shut her eyes tightly, trying to hold back the tears threatening to spill. She didn't want Kaizen to witness her vulnerability. They were adults now, beyond the years of letting emotions run wild and unchecked.

"I-I'm scared that I might lose her—" Sakura's voice broke as she voiced her deepest fear, one she struggled to acknowledge.

"Don't assume you'll lose her," Kaizen interrupted gently, his voice firm but gentle as he crossed his arms, trying to offer her some stability. "She's never been this happy, and you know that." His words were a soothing balm for her frayed nerves. "Keishi told me everything. Seiren has never felt so carefree, and allowing her to attend the academy was the right decision for her."

Kaizen's gaze softened, and he stepped closer, speaking with heartfelt sincerity. "As her mother, don't let your fears overshadow the things that bring her joy." Sakura's breath hitched, a soft sob escaping her lips as she clasped her hand over her mouth, trying to stifle her cries.

Tears streamed down her face, her vulnerability laid bare. Kaizen felt a pang of sadness, knowing he could only offer comfort in this moment. He wanted to do more, but the reality that Sakura wasn't his weighed heavily on him. He knelt in front of her, meeting her eye level, his presence a gesture of empathy and compassion.

"You're stronger than you think, Sakura," Kaizen said, his voice soft and tender. "And so is Seiren. She's your child. You raised her with so much love and care. Trust that she'll find her way." His words offered reassurance, though he couldn't ease the pain he knew she felt. As he comforted her, he couldn't ignore the ache in his own heart. Slowly, her arms wrapped around Kaizen's shoulder as she cried in his arms, his clothes muffled her mourning cries.