34. At the table

As I led Ella into the grand dining hall, her dainty hand securely in mine, I could feel the warmth between us. She tensed whenever I had a chance to touch her, but I didn't care. It soothed me when I was near her and even more when we touched.

Entering the hall, we were met with curious stares from the pack members who preferred eating together rather than in their own homes. Most of them were unmated warriors and a few families attending dinner.

As they watched our movements, I simply shrugged it off; let them look. My heart raced with anticipation as I had been looking forward to this for awhile. I've been eager to spend time alone with Ella, I wanted to get to know her and deepen our friendship. Recognizing a certain emptiness within her that mirrored my own, I hope for her to see me more than just someone she got stuck with but someone she could trust.

To my right Ella sat, her eyes wandering around the opulent surroundings with a mixture of awe and nervousness. The flickering of the lantern light casted a soft glow on her delicate features, having me admire her beauty even more.

But just as I was sensing she was letting her walls down, the sound of footsteps echoed through the hall. My heart sank as my brother and Kyra entered the room, their presence disrupting my every fiber. I was certain that my brother and Kyra weren't going to attend tonight. He had found out somehow and made it his purpose to annoy me by bringing Kyra along. Kyra prefers to have her meals separate from the pack. She has never tried to humble herself. Ever since she became luna she thought she was above them.

I watched helplessly as Ella's demeanor shifted from relaxed to guarded in an instant. The tension between us was palpable as we exchanged forced pleasantries with my unexpected guests. I had to hold back my anger knowing the pack were watching. What I really wanted was to claw at his condescending face for ruining my night.

Despite Elrix behavior towards her, Ella remained composed. His insistent comments of her as my pet caused her discomfort evident on her face by the blush furiously appearing.
This was Elrix's way of getting a reaction from me, that's what he does. His behavior aimed to assert his dominance and manipulate my emotions. But I held back denying him the satisfaction of seeing me upset.

Abruptly, she excused herself from the table, leaving everyone stunned, including myself for not intervening sooner.

With a heavy heart, I watched her respectfully stand and push her chair in then walking towards the back of the hall in a secluded area. A pang of guilt surged through me as it was my fault she was enduring this mistreatment. She deserved so much better than this treatment from Elrix or anyone else.

Turning my gaze towards Elrix, I saw his smug grin, he was beaming with pride at causing such discomfort and pain. The sight of them together made my stomach churn even more than before. Sometimes I think she was the best thing that never happened to me because they truly deserve each other.

Unable to contain my anger, I blurted out, "Do you have to be such a heartless bastard? She's done nothing wrong."

Elrix's response was cold and dismissive. "She has no place here, especially not in a position of high rank, little brother. I don't want the pack to get the wrong idea." He continues while stuffing a forkful of meat into his mouth. Humans are not welcomed. Even with you becoming so infatuated with her."

"Why are you so interested in that human. From what I can see there's nothing special." Kyra adding her own venomous comment.

"That's none of your concern." I growled

My mind flashed to the image of me walking into my father's office. There, in vivid detail, they all came into view, my parents, Elrix and Kyra. My heart shattered into a million pieces at the sight of the woman, who was supposed to be my forever, nestled on my brother 's lap. Instantly, my eyes darted to her neck which was freshly marked as was his. The scene was surreal, a cruel reminder that my fated mate favored my brother, the Alpha over me. Finally, driving a knowing dagger right through my soul.