30. Complications

As the unforgettable day came to an end, I found myself seeking comfort in the now familiar walls that surround me. Rory's laughter still echoed in my mind, her playful teasing about the Beta's peculiar behavior ringing in my ears. "He likes you, you know," she had insisted, her eyes sparkling with mischief. But I couldn't bring myself to believe her.

To me, Rory was just a naive, thirteen year old girl caught up in her fairy tale fantasies, unable to see the harshness of reality for what it is. I couldn't imagine that the Beta, with his strong, stoic and dangerous demeanor, could possibly have any interest in me.

Doesn't he have a mate?

It seemed more likely that his acts of kindness were driven by pity. After all, I had helped him in escaping that torture and he may have felt obligated to repay the favor out of guilt.
Who would have thought the Wolf had a conscience?

But then again, why would he want me, or anyone would for that matter? Just look at me.

I was nobody, invisible to the world around us. Those words echoed in my mind, "They never wanted you, Ella. You're no one to no one."

The walls offered no answers just solitude. I reflected on Rory's words, a lingering feeling tugged at me, suggesting that perhaps, there was some truth to them. His presence and piercing green eyes, sent shivers down my spine but not in a bad way. Maybe, just maybe, deep down I wanted to believe that someone could care for me.

Reluctantly, I allowed my guard to slip today, if only for a moment. I had let his kind words and sincerity chip away at the walls I had meticulously built around me. It's like every word he spoke carried with it a weight of past mistakes, a burden he seemed unable to shake off. It was like something tormented him. But what? The thought nagged at me.

You're not good enough for him. Taunted my own insecurities.

No! I shook my head, getting rid of these thoughts as quickly as they came. I was being ridiculous, it's all swayed by pity, a false facade. Sooner or later their true colours will emerge as will their intentions. I learned the hard way that people could be cruel and manipulative, and I was not going to let history repeat itself.

This reminded me of the reasons I needed to keep my distance, the risks that came with letting him in. I knew deep down that any further connection with him would only lead to heartache. We were meant to part ways, to continue on our separate journeys.

He's a wolf, I'm a human. They hate you as much as you hate them.

I was well aware that in his world, I would only ever be a chosen toy or worse, a mere pet. The thought of his loyal wolf only solidified my need to keep my distance and find a way down this mountain.

With a heavy sigh and a conflicted mind, I decided not to allow myself to be sucked into another subservient situation. Our paths were not meant to intertwine beyond that fleeting moment of vulnerability in the cells.

**********

It has been two weeks since my arrival and I remain in the same place. Fortunately, Iris has removed the stitches from my feet and some of my bruises are starting to heal, but the journey to full recovery still seems distant.

With each passing day, I attempt to muster the strength to stand, to walk, to escape this place, but my left leg still causes me pain. Frustration gnaws at me, threatening to consume the flicker of hope that I cling onto - the hope of starting a new life in the human village. It's a matter of time, until their kindness runs out on a weak and useless human, especially the beta. I shudder to think what will happen when he gets bored.