25. Avoiding her

Over the next few days, the three young wolves would insist on visiting, despite Iris's scolding. I didn't find it bothersome, as they helped distract me from my thoughts. As for the Beta wolf, he hasn't made an appear since my emotional break down. I couldn't help but feel guilty for snapping at him, even though he was the one who triggered it.

Today Elliott had kindly brought me a piece of his mom's cornbread. That's what he called it, I had never tried it before and didn't have much of an appetite, but it was a nice gesture the same. He's a well-mannered and compassionate young boy, evident in the depth of his eyes which match his mother's striking greyish ones.  He had noticed that I was usually given a simple meal of broth with greens, and bread with an apple, but the kid didn't hesitate to share his food with me. I didn't voice any complaints, as it was more than what I had been given in the pack.

With a smug expression, he presents me with a white cloth and unwraps it to reveal a rich, golden slice in his hand. He breaks off a piece and pops it into his mouth, urging me to try it. "See it's good, try it." And moves his hand out closer. The heavenly scent wafts towards me and he motions for me to take it. Not wanting to be rude, I slowly break off a piece and take a tentative bite. The combination of sweetness and saltiness is too tempting, and I quickly take a bigger bite. He grins, satisfied with my reaction. We both finish the piece, and he stuffs the cloth in his pocket.

As for the healer, he would come and go swiftly, and I could sense that he didn't particularly care for me. He would avoid making eye contact and usually had Iris tending to my needs. The feelings were mutual.

 I couldn't understand why they were being kind to me, especially Iris. She would patiently untangle my knotted hair, clean me up, and even assist me to the toilet when needed. As I spent time with her, I learned that she was an Omega and had two sons. Her oldest son was a warrior, while Elliott  was fifteen and had recently shifted into his wolf form.  She beamed with pride at how Elliott wants to follow his big brother's footsteps in becoming a pack warrior. She explained how this pack is known for some of the strongest warrior wolves. You can tell from how she spoke that she had a deep pride in her pack and their heritage. She would often ask me about my background, but I could only give short answers as I had no knowledge of where I came from. I don't know anything about my ancestry, I was an orphan, I don't remember much. At times there are just hazy memories that make no sense to me.

When we had these talks, I could sense sympathy in her gaze, which made me feel uneasy, then I'd pretend to be tired. She'd excuse herself and I would be left alone. I preferred it that way.  It was better to keep people at a distance because sooner or later everyone's true colors show.
Alone is good, Alone is safe.
I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts. I didn't want pity from anyone.  I always dealt with my issues on my own.

Thankfully, my time here hasn't been terrible and I'm not sure really how much time has passed, but I am definitely feeling stronger. I wanted the Beta to return so I could discuss my leaving. I felt awkward asking for him and a bit hesitant confronting him again but I hoped to convince the Beta to take me to the human village. After all, that was the deal, once I'm gone, he can resume his own life and we can part ways. Honestly, it wouldn't be too much trouble for him. He can simply point me in the right direction and I'll make the journey on my own with proper preparation this time.

 At night, as I lie awake, listening to the sounds of the pack outside. I can't help but wonder about my future. Will I be able to leave this place? I hear the wolves' howls in the distance, and my thoughts intensify, leaving me to question his intentions. Is he thinking about me or avoiding me?  

Wolf

As the days passed, I learned from my little spies that my human's name is Ella. 

Simple and sweet