15. Anger

Wolf

Hiding behind the dense bushes, I watched, as the human regained consciousness after trying to keep up and collapsing. I did as I said and took her to the creek. It didn't seem right to abandon her in the woods while she was passed out, so I transformed and carried her.
Now in my fur, we kept our distance, so I could see that she was okay and finally get back to my pack.

She'll find her way. She's smart, she'll be alright. Reassuring myself and my wolf again while the human finished cleaning herself up.

Stepping back from the creek ,she looked around frantically, her face flushed with despair. Then I heard a soft sniffle and a few silent tears ran down her face. This whole situation must be hard on her and I'm about to make it harder.

Dammit I feel like a shitty person.

With a heavy heart, I made my way towards the human, there's no choice, I couldn't take a human to the pack. It was a wild idea. There has already been tension in the pack, to bring such a fragile creature, they'd think I lost it completely. And come on I'd literally be throwing her back to the wolves, now that wouldn't be fair to her.

Oh my moon! I'm so fucked up.
Shaking me head to get rid of these thoughts.

I promise myself, That's it!

It'll be the last resort, I'll have her tag along until we part ways but first I've gotta have her eat, build some energy so she can travel.

As I got closer, she was still sitting with her head down on her knees whimpering, I came up behind her and bumped her shoulder with my snout. Frowning down at her, with a small mousy voice I listened to her say " I don't need you, I can take care of myself,......always did."

"Go on...., leave!" She raises her head and turns to face me abruptly.

My heart tightens of the sight of her red scrunched up face and runny nose.

Then she started stuttering sounds, and her bottom lip quivered. I couldn't understand a word until she began throwing rocks and cursing.

"Shoo stupid Wolf!" She screamed while continuing her assault.

Ouch! Damn the girl can throw.

Ella

I couldn't take it anymore, I was so angry. I didn't even know why, perhaps I'm tired of having to fight and never getting anything in return.

I saved that stupid Wolf, he wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for me.
I know he wants to leave me, than leave.
I scream " go on.... leave"
"Shoo stupid Wolf", and continued hurling all kinds of rocks I could grasp at.

He backed away whining until he was immersed into the forest.
I stood there awhile with my chest heaving, desperately trying to look pass the tall ancestral pine trees.

He was gone.

Gradually my breathing slowed and I fell to my knees, I could feel the damp soil and countless twigs digging into my bare, bruised knees.

Sitting back on my heels, I waited for what seemed like endless minutes for him to reappear.
What did I do?

Flashes of being alone in the drawing night made me shudder.

The terrors that had once made me flee now seem insignificant as my imagination conjures up invisible dangers. My anxiety only grew when realizing that death was coming to find me. Feeling vulnerable, I squeezed my body between the huge roots of a tree trunk, just like the forest animals crawling in their hiding spots for the night.

And there I waited hugging my body from the chill of the changing temperature of autumn. The sun was slowly setting below the trees and I watched the orange paint the sky . The world was beautiful but not for me.

"To those who may hear me up there, I don't know if there are any Gods or whatever but let my ending be peaceful.  That's all I ask, I've suffered enough so I feel you owe me that." I contemplated to the sky above where a few stars began peaking out.

Just as I was coming to terms with the end of my existence. I heard cracking of twigs and leaves, it sounded as if it were getting closer. My eyes were trained towards the encircling trees, wringing my hands anticipating a daunting fate.

Much to my surprise, emerging through the branches was him. The Wolf in his human form, partially shrouded in shadows which were attempting to conceal his nakedness. He stood tall, shoulders squared, his medium length, straggly hair and unruly beard curtained his face.

In that second my breathing stopped. He was a menacing figure to look at and anyone would surely shit themselves in his presence. But seeing him again sparked a glimmer of hope amidst all the doubts I was clinging to.

We were both staring at each other, unmoving, until he simply says "come." and turned slightly towards the dense trees.

Rooted in place, I hesitated to follow. I was conflicted by his unwillingness to abandon me especially after my hissy fit.
Let's say I was a bit embarrassed.

Standing up straight, trying not to look like a meek, little human. I started tallying in my head the positives in going with the Wolf.

What other choice did I have, really?

"Come on gorgeous, we don't got all night." with a playful hint, he then proceeded in walking into the trees.

Yet, I took a second to look up again into the twilight sky " I hope your scheming serves a good purpose." I whisper to the universe.

At that point I quickly decide to pursue the Wolf, as best as I could with my frail body and limping steps, I manage to follow behind despite the rough terrain and overgrown vegetations. In no time , we stumbled upon two boulders where a small fire had been lit. Instantly a mouth watering smell invaded my senses, it seemed some meat was being grilled on sticks. The aroma had my stomach growling, I hadn't eaten since I swiped that piece of meat off a wolf's plate.

Staring at the meat cooking, I then noticed he turned to face me, I clenched my teeth, not willing to consider his kindness for even a moment. But I realized he had set up the camp for my benefit.
"Now eat," he said in a husky voice.

What's with this wolf?

.......

** Someone's playing match maker 😂

It took a bit to write, unfortunately life gets in the way. So I hope you like it.

I do try to update frequently.  

Please vote and comment. 🫶