20. The journey homeward

As my mind drifted lazily to the thought of returning home. I wondered if the pack had raised any concerns about my absence and if my mother had at least questioned it. But then again, I doubt she gave it much importance. My mother was used to me disappearing for long periods of time. She had grown accustomed to my tendency to distance myself from the pack at times. She was likely not expecting me to return home, she had always thought I'd go rogue.

I sighed and shook my head, trying to push away the lingering feelings of resentment towards my mother. She had always been stern and cold towards me, ever since I was a pup. I was never good enough in her eyes, always a disappointment. She was always quick to criticize and never showed any signs of warmth or affection. 

I've struggled for years to come to terms with my own identity and place in the pack. I'd strived to be a good leader and putting the needs of the pack above my own. Despite my efforts, I couldn't shake off the feeling of being lost and even an outsider at times. This only added further conflict.

But the thing that I dreaded the most was the judgmental glare I would receive when they learned of my capture. I was certain they would see me as weak and undependable. I couldn't bear the thought of losing the packs respect and trust. I had fucked up and I knew I would have to explain myself.

Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice how much time had passed since I checked on the human.

I snapped back and my heart dropped to my stomach. There was no sign of my human anywhere.

Damnit! How could I have let myself get so easily distracted? My wolf growls. 

As a werewolf, I have always been taught to be alert and aware of my surroundings. Had I not been preoccupied with my thoughts, I would have heard her running. How could I have ignored it.

Shit! Panic and Anger coursed through my body as my eyes frantically searched the area. My mind raced with all the possibilities of what could have happened to her. Did she escape on her own? Was she taken by another pack? No, I would have sensed it. Was she hurt or dead?

No, I couldn't let my mind go there. I refused to believe that this was the end of her. I had to find her. With my wolf fueling my actions, I began to track her scent through the forest. I could feel my wolf getting more agitated and restless by the minute.

As I ran through the trees, my mind couldn't help but wander back to the human. This wasn't the same relentless and fearless human I had met back in those cells. This human was broken and defeated. She shouldn't have run, I hadn't given her any reason to. She was more or less ignorant to the ways of the forest, it's very easy to become disoriented because everything looks the same.  She wasn't a wolf so she couldn't relay on scenting and tracking.

Argh! How could she be so careless.

I shouldn't blame her for her actions. Regarding where she came from, she didn't know any better. But I was furious with her and I didn't know why.

As I followed her scent of springtime rain, it led me west away from the mountains, where my pack lies. Did she think I was taking her to my pack? I let out a sigh. I knew I had to let her go, if that's what she wanted. I couldn't force her to trust me, I had to accept her decision and move on. 

 Hesitation creeps up on me as I question if I should keep chasing after her. 

I realized I had slowed down and were catching our breath, all the while my wolf scanned the surroundings, searching for any sign of her. And just as I was about to give up, I saw her. 

Although my heart sank when I could make out her figure through the distance of the high brush.  She was against a twisted tree trunk with knotted arms that rose upward to the heavens. Her head hanging low and her body motionless. I approached her cautiously, not wanting to startle her. As I got closer, I could see that she was breathing slowly. Relief flooded through me, but I could also sense that something was wrong.
My wolf gently placed it's head on her chest expecting some kind of reaction from her. 

But there was nothing.

I pushed myself to the forefront of my mind and shifted to my skin.
I quickly took in her condition, she was pale, and her legs and feet were bleeding. I gently brushed a strand of hair away from her face, and noticed a deep scrap on her cheek. Her scent was sour and unpleasant, a possible sign of infection.

I looked up at the sky, feeling the weight of my responsibility weighing down on me. I couldn't just leave her here, alone and vulnerable. I had to help her, it wasn't fair after all she endured.

With a deep breath, I scooped her up in my arms and cradled her to my chest. She felt so fragile, like holding a rare flower. Her skin was hot and her breathing was shallow. I knew I had to act fast if I wanted to save her.

 I thought it was best to carry her in my skin, even though it would be faster in wolf form but her unconscious state made that impossible.
Putting all my insecurities aside, I started running towards my pack's territory. Taking her into the village was not an option, especially given my current physical state, and I was aware that their resources were scarce. I knew the villagers were wary of wolves, and I didn't want to risk their hostility. Plus, my pack was not too far, but the journey would be challenging.

I could sense her petite frame trembling against mine as I sprinted through the dense forest. She was injured and I did my best to provide her with warmth.

Hours had passed and my muscles ached, we had reached a lush meadow. I thought it would be a good time to give her some water and cool her down since she was burning up with fever. I filled her mouth with water and she drank it greedily. Gradually, she regained some awareness and her eyes began to flutter open.

"Hey gorgeous"

Sighing heavily and closing her eyes, she slurred barely audible, "go ... leave, go ... home Wolf." before drifting off to sleep in my arms. She was clearly exhausted and in pain, and she wanted nothing more than to rest. Her slurred words indicated that she was barely conscious.

I frowned at her words and whispered in her ear " Not a chance gorgeous, we had a deal remember. You're coming home with me little human." 

••••••

I was really inspired when writing this chapter, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for reading 😊

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE  ⭐⟵⁠(⁠๑⁠¯⁠◡⁠¯⁠๑⁠)

Let me know what you think 💬
🫶