9. Left behind

"Not all storms come to disrupt your life some come to clear a path."
-Anonymous

....

From afar, in between the trees, I could see the Wolf perched on a log
wavering to continue.
The fear that those wolves were catching up was what was pushing my body to its limits.

"Don't stop running, come on."

I can't reach the Wolf, my body gives out from under me and I fall face forward in the dirt.
Defeated, I lift my head in the hopes that the Wolf is still waiting.

Yes!- There he is standing in the same spot.
Keeping eye contact with the Wolf, I push on the palms of my hands to lift myself up.
Why is he just standing there?

Realization hits me, he has no intention of helping.
I try getting up again but my body is too weak and I fall back down exhausted.
Though, this time when I looked up for the Wolf, he was gone.

My heart sank and I became overwhelmed with emotion lying there in the dirt with my head sideways, resting on the back of my hands.

Just give up, it's easier if you do, projects my mind.

I knew he'd abandon me, he ran to save himself. I just thought it would happen later on, further out in the woods.
Even if he had his reasons, why do I have this profound feeling of disappointment.
Again I try to put myself on my feet, but the forest around me seemed hazy such as a thick fog enclosing me. It was hard to focus on anything and I was forced to rely on my other senses.
Finally I stood on my wobbly feet. I looked around and quickly became furious to think that fleabag mutt of a Wolf ditched me. Was this his plan all along?
He would have never gotten his freedom if I hadn't let him out of his chains. Stupid me!
My teeth clenched as rage surged through me in the middle of the forest in considering my stupidity. I should've known, they've used me my whole life. Never have they shown compassion or kindness, for we were disposable.
Yet, I had the tiniest hope that.....that Wolf would be different.

Just another lesson learned Ella.

While wallowing in my foolishness, I hear it .... paws pounding through the trees. I take a step back, my heart pounding in my chest.
Then straightaway panic propelled my body to move.
Fuck ! This is not good.
I'm gonna die a horrible death if those ravening wolves find me.
I struggled into a jog, going forward in the direction I last saw that good for nothing Wolf.

I gotta hide, ahhh shit! ... it's a bit steep here. If I fall again I know I won't get back up.

I had to keep going, I had to find a safe place. I had to keep hoping.
I took a deep breath and focused on the path ahead.

Scrambling up the steep terrain, digging my fingers into the dirt to pull me forward, I finally made it to the top and collapsed in relief. I took a glimpse down at myself. What I saw were so many scraps and cuts that were bleeding from ripping through low branches and thorns that they would definitely scent my blood.
Fuck I'm so screwed!
Limping and searching frantically, up ahead I spotted a hollowed tree trunk. This is the only thing I could do to survive, is hide. It was like a last-ditch effort, like a mouse seeking shelter in a crevice when a cat is on the hunt.

Getting closer, the hole is higher up than when I caught sight of it.
One thing I learned from being in this mangy dogs' pack, is climbing trees. You want to hide or in my case, try to escape you learned quick how to climb trees, wolves don't climb trees.
Without hesitation, I started by placing my foot on the tree knobs to help me. My muscles were screaming in pain. They were functioning on fear, fear of a pack of wolves devouring me.
I reached it. It's a narrow slit but I'm sure I could squeeze inside, I'm so thin and small. I have to try.
Hurrying, I maneuver my limbs into the tree trunk. Finally I get in, and push my body as far back as I can so I won't be seen. Fitting in here my body was trembling from fatigue and it was hard to breathe that when I inhaled pain seared through my sides.
I knew this wasn't going to be a sure bet but I had no other options. I can't run or fight but like a rat I can hide. To think I had been planning my escape for years, waiting for the right opportunity. And now here I was, hiding in a tree like a scared animal. But I couldn't afford to let my thoughts spiral into despair.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they won't find me. Even if they don't find me, what am I going to do then? I knew that my journey would be far from over, and there would still be other dangers ahead.

°°°°°°°°

🤗Yay! , I've gotten over 100 reads,
I know it's not much but for me it's awesome knowing others are reading my story even if they are silent readers. ♥️

Please vote and leave a comment, very much appreciated.