16. Shifts of stride

Darkness was blanketing everything around us, so after I had eaten my fill of rabbit, I made myself comfortable near the fire. The sound of crackling firewood was so soothing that it made me feel sleepy. But there's no way I'd truly get any sleep out here.

On the other side of the fire, the Wolf crouched down on a log and finished the rest of the meal.

He hasn't said anything since he told me to eat.  However, several times I caught his gaze and tried to avoid it. I didn't want to be sociable with him, there was no point. 

Though, when I caught glimpses of him through slightly closed lids, I couldn't help but admire his strength and of course his body. It was clear he was strong, even though he was thinner at the moment. And let's not talk about his beastly abilities, especially in his movements. No human move like they do. If they weren't such monsters, I'd say they were exquisite creatures in their own right. But could the abilities of a monster lurk inside a good man.
......

It was painful to open my eyes to the brightened sky. Shifting my body upright, I didn't realize I had fallen asleep. My muscles felt tight and my feet were throbbing. 

Looking around, the fire was out and laying on the small boulder next to me, were berries and roots, placed on a huge leaf. "I guess this is mine to eat, anyway wolves like meat, " shrugging it off and smirking I proceeded to pop them in my mouth. Hmmm the berries bursting with sweetness was heaven right now. 

Lost in my delight, a chilling feeling of being watched began crawling up my spine, I listened with greater intensity, as I built the courage to turn around.  Beside me, I placed a hand on a rock, ready to defend myself. Then, whirling around, I come face to face with a huge Wolf head. The surprise had my hand fly up, smashing his snout with the rock. 
I scrambled away and released a involuntary gasp. Shit! it was the Wolf in his fur. 
The Wolf shakes off the hit and tilts his head as if trying to figure something out.
Call me crazy but I prefer him in his fur than in human form. The Wolf seems more docile like a overgrown puppy but with killer sharp teeth.

Yeah, I'm weird.

Suddenly, he shoots forward and conks me on the head with his snout.
"Hey, what was that for? It's not my fault you scared me."
The Wolf huffs in my face. Breaking our little encounter, he shifts around, walking away until he looks over his shoulder and motions with his head to follow him. Me, still sitting on the ground a bit bewildered, sprang from my spot and followed like the lost pitiful human I know he sees me as.

Wolf

I've gotta hand it to this little human, she's got good instincts.  Even though there's no way she can measure up to us, she's a fighter. She'd be great as a wolf, a little  warrior wolf, I think smiling on the inside.

But what's with the rocks.

Being a bit mischievous, I pivoted forward and whacked her on the head with my snout. 

She went on about something, I really wasn't listening to. I was caught up with how cute she was  trying to square up to my wolf . Strangely, she's less scared around him than when I'm in my skin.  I'd love to continue teasing her but we need to start moving on, so I motion for her to follow.

 For awhile we marched with unfaltering determination, leaving the human a good distance apart. I'd every now and then, peer behind me to see if she was following. Although it was plain to see the human was struggling, she didn't complain. If she asked me, I'd stop to rest. 
Unfortunately my wolf didn't see it that way. For some reason he had developed a soft spot for her, he let out a hard sigh, annoyed with the growing gap between us.

 Ignoring him, I continue to  trek on.  That's one of the reasons I'm staying in my fur, the less I get to know about her, the easier to forget her when we go our separate ways. It'll be on her if she survives.

It's no surprise though. Humans have always had their resiliency tested, no exceptions to these recent years where the virus rifled through their species. In reality, the human world has changed dramatically over the years since their so-called era of selfishness.  Surely she has no idea, but that's not my problem. She'll find out what's out there pretty quick on her own.

Ella

I didn't want to voice it but I was aching, my feet were bloody and my legs were bruised. But I wasn't going to give that Wolf the satisfaction in thinking I'm weak.  I strode forward through the pain, I was certain we both wanted to get out of this and go our own way. I know I did!

I wanted to find my freedom as quickly as possible and that meant away from wolves.

***

😏 They're so desperate to get away from each other.

Please vote and leave a comment I really appreciate your support.
🫶