Chapter 3

JAY'S POV

After the assembly, we were sent to our form rooms. We got our timetables and we we're staying here until break time (recess). Nya was sat next to me and she was doodling in her notebook while the teacher was yapping. That's when the girl from this morning walked in. Damn, her eyes a REALLY bright green... 

"Are you Mr Grover?" She asked. She had a mature voice. She was defo home schooled, I can tell.

"Yep, you must be the new student! Paige, right? You're on my register but I can't seem to find your timetable... Do you know where the main office is?" She shook her head. Of course she doesn't! She's probably never been to 'big school' before. Sorry, that was rude. Who am I apologising to? No-one heard me.

"Nya, but that notebook away, this isn't art, can you go down with Paige to get her timetable?" Nya silently huffed as she put the notebook away.

"Yep."

Nya stood up and left me alone with the yapper. 

NYA'S POV 

I stood up and lead Paige to the main office. "So, Paige, right?"

"Yes."

"Where did you come from?"

"What do you mean?"

"School."

"Oh, I was home schooled!"

"Ahh, oh boy. You've got a lot to learn!" I said, patting her on the shoulder. She giggled. We collected her timetable. "What subjects did you pick?" I asked.

"Design and Technology, Computer science, Triple science and Economics."

"Oh wow. How are you gonna get caught up with all the work? That's a lot!"

"I think I'll manage. I'm excited for Computer science! I've always been interested in computers and all... Sorry, I must sound like an absolute nerd!"

"No, not at all! I always liked mechanics. I've invented a few bits and pieces. So did Jay."

"Who?"

"My best friend. I think he chose computer science too! You can be study buddies and we can be study buddies for DT! I chose it as well." She laughed as we walked back into the class. I sat back next to Jay and Paige sat at the desk next to me. "This is Jay," I said as he waved at Paige.

"I don't think I caught your name..." 

"Oh, right! Nya."

"Nice to meet you two!"

Jay chuckled, "Nice to meet you too! Random question, were you home schooled?"

She nodded, "Am I that obvious?" she giggled.

"I think we're gonna be great friends." I stated. You know what? I think me and Paige just clicked. Not even five minutes and we already have so much in common! I turned to Jay, "She chose DT Computer science too."

"Alright, sick!" I've heard someone from the other side of the class talk about Cole the 'drug dealer'. I glared at them. Paige turned to them and back to me, who was still glaring. I rolled my eyes at them. 

"What were they talking about? What drug dealer?" Paige asked, curiously.

I turned to Jay and he nodded. I sighed and looked at Paige again. "Our best friend was accused of selling drugs on school grounds. They found drugs and money in his bag but it wasn't his," I emphasised while glaring at the people on the other side of the classroom. I turned to Paige again, "Someone else put them there but they refused to investigate it. Now everyone hates him thinking that he's actually a drug dealer but we know that he wouldn't go near that stuff. That situation broke him. He had enough problems at home as it was with his mum passing away last year and... Well, it's worse."

Jay spoke up, "Can we talk about the 'worse' bit? Did you notice the bandages around his wrists?" He whispered.

I felt my pupils dilate. "You don't think..."

"Self harm?" Paige asked - whispering. Me and Jay nodded hesitantly and sighed. "I feel so bad... I mean, I don't even know him but I want to help somehow... Is there anything I can do?" The bell rang for break. We went to the bench where Cole was already sat. We introduced him to Paige.

"Hey, I'm Cole..." he said blandly. 

"I'm Paige!" She sat down. "What subjects did you pick?"

"Uh... philosophy, drama, music and PE."

"Oh, cool! What have you got next?"

"Double maths... I've been told I've been moved down a set because of what fucking happened... It's such utter bullshit!" Cole raised his voice and leaned his head on the table.

"Positive thinking, Cole. Maths will be easier," Jay said.

"I- um, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened, Cole... Is there anything I can do to help?" Paige asked.

Cole sat up and looked at her green eyes. "I don't think so... Everyone is just so ignorant. Thank the first spinjitzu master that you met the right people otherwise you would've ended up like everyone else... Thanks anyway... At least there's some supportive people in this world."

"It's not a problem."

We all chatted with each other and we got to know Paige more. She's so into electronics that we decided to give her a nickname: Pixal. Or Pix for short. How cool is that?

We headed to maths since it turned out that we all had it next. (they have core subjects - Maths, science, English- at the same time but might be in different classes) While Jay went ahead with Cole, I told Paige about the technique that I use to help calm Cole's anxiety. They're in the same class so it's useful for her to know.

COLE'S POV

Maths was horrific. Everyone was giving me looks. At this point, who doesn't? I have to go to the front of the class each lesson for the teacher to search my bag. Isn't once enough? Lucky for me, I was sat next to Pix. Wow that nickname caught on quick...

I heard Nya tell her about my anxiety attacks which I won't be complaining about. She helped me calm them down several times throughout the double. Sure, I have a new friend but the anxiety just won't leave. I'm fine around her, Nya and Jay but around everyone else, I feel like I can't breathe and I feel like my head is just gonna explode. At lunch, I decided to go to the toilets and cry...

No-one comes here so I'm safe. I locked the stall, sat on the closed seat and cried.

"Hey, are you okay?"