Chapter 2

COLE'S POV

I can't stand this place but they won't let me move to any other school. Maybe if I listened to my dad and went to that stupid performing arts school in the first place, none of this would've happened.

I hate it when he's right. I also hate it when he thinks he's right but he's actually wrong, but he'll hold onto his argument anyway. Because he's so stubborn, life at home is so much harder than it needs to be. Ever since my mum passed away last year, he's been so strict. When he found out about this situation, he went ballistic.

Basically, towards the end of year 9...

- flashback -

I was taken out of my maths class by the Safeguarding teacher, Mrs Jones. I stood up from my chair but then she said, "Bring your bag with you." So I did. I was followed to her office where another student was sitting. It was Harumi Jade. A year 8 student but somehow the most intimidating since she has quite a lot of power because of her rich parents. I know that she hates my guts because I confronted her about tormenting some other kid but what could she be doing here?

"Is this him?" Mrs Jones asked.

"Yes, I saw him." I raised an eyebrow really confused as to what she was talking about.

"See what?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"Stop pretending, Cole Brookstone. You know what!" Harumi was clearly accusing me of something. I was certain that it was about the confrontation.

I was very wrong.

"Give me your bag, Mister Brookstone," Mrs Jones ordered. I gave my bag to her and glanced at Harumi, who was giving me a cheeky smirk. I turned to Mrs Jones who was searching my bag. 'I have nothing in there, though,' I thought. That's when Mrs Jones pulled out a plastic bag full of white powder and a wad of cash.

My eyes widened, "That's not mine!" I tried defending myself.

"Miss Jade would say otherwise. You may leave now." Harumi stood up and strutted away, rubbing her victory to embarrass me, after I embarrassed her, to my face. Before I knew it, a handful of teachers were standing around me, telling me that I'm better than this, that there will be consequences and that this is unacceptable. We were shouting back and forth and then they told me to calm down because apparently I was getting 'too aggressive'.

"I swear, it's not mine! I don't do stuff like this! I'm not stupid enough to be selling drugs!" Then they would tell me about how Harumi and her friends 'saw' me giving drugs to someone on school grounds. At this point, tears were streaming down my face.

They called my dad about the situation and it only escalated. The worst thing is that he never said the words "My son would never." He never defended me like a real dad would. If my mum was here, she would've beaten the sense into them if she had to.

"Promise me, Cole, that you will stand up to those who are cruel and unjust. Always..."

Those words from my mother would run back and forth in my head before I had enough. During the meeting between the Headteacher (principal) and my dad, I broke out into tears and screamed, "The only person guilty of this is fucking Harumi herself! She always plays the victim and you let her get away with it because her parents are rich!"

"Cole, that's enough!" my dad shouted back in his stern voice. "I will be discussing further consequences with your headteacher."

"But-"

"Wait in the car, now."

"I wish mum was here. She'd understand unlike your selfish arse." I slammed the door behind me as I stormed out of the office and got in the car. Tears were falling down my face like a waterfall. Everyone thinks that I'm guilty of selling drugs but only I know that Harumi framed me.