Ch 6 : Grappling Emotions

The boys, accompanied by the girls, were ushered back into the classroom, where the girls were given the responsibility of keeping them in check yet again

The boys, accompanied by the girls, were ushered back into the classroom, where the girls were given the responsibility of keeping them in check yet again. Feeling both saddened and enraged, the boys pondered their situation. Ayaan had already made up his mind—he would find a way to go on the trip, even if it meant defying the school and seeking his father's intervention. As they entered the classroom, their friends bombarded them with questions.

Chaaya then recounted the unsettling events outside the staff room,"Vinay, Ayaan and Saransh are barred from going on the school trip this year and will also be subjected to detention every Saturday for a month after the school's reopening," as she completed, everyone was visibly shaken. A pall of gloom hung over them all. Aaron grappled with the disappointment of his friends not being able to join the trip. Saransh, besides lamenting the canceled trip, also dealt with the fallout of an argument with Rini, who had desperately wanted to go with him. Ayaan, for the first time, felt a newfound sense of sadness when he observed the resentment in Nivedita and Chaaya's eyes, unable to comprehend the cause.

Nivedita had thought that Ayaan had a good side too in him, once hopeful about Ayaan's better side, now she felt let down. She had hoped he would heed her advice and not do anything stupid, only to be proven wrong. On top of that, she had gotten a scolding from a teacher for the first time in life. She stopped talking to Ayaan. She hadn't spoken a word to him since that incident. Vinay however had an altogether different story. He was lost in his thoughts. One couldn't comprehend what was going on in his mind.

The day passed by and no one could really pay attention to what was happening, who taught what. Chaaya finally returned home at 2:30 p.m. Unlike everyday, today she didn't go to her mother to tell her about what had transpired in the school today, instead seeking solace in her room. She freshened up, took her lunch and went to her room. Her mother also didn't pay that much attention to her behavior because for them that's how Chaaya was, on days when she'd be tired she'd just be in her room.

But, it was not the case with Chaaya. Unbeknownst to her mother, she hid her sorrow behind a facade of exhaustion. She didn't like to show her sad and crying face to anyone and so she'd make up an excuse that she was tired and lock herself in her room. No one knew about it, not even Rini because Chaaya didn't want to trouble anyone with her petty problems. Alone in her room, Chaaya put on her headphones, laid on her bed and just cried her heart out.  She was crying because her trust had been broken again, she had trouble trusting people and only Samarth, Rini and Pravisht knew it.

She had convinced her heart slowly that Vinay was worth trusting and she trusted him to listen to her request, but she was wrong. She had gotten scolded with no fault of hers and been blamed for someone else's mistake. No one was able to notice her sadness not even her own mother. Samarth didn't know about this and Rini was in her own mess. She took out her diary and started writing everything. Her diary was her only companion who had always kept her secrets and after writing slept while listening to music.

Vinay on the other hand had reached his house earlier than Chaaya. He ate his lunch peacefully and was in his room thinking about what had transpired in school. Chaaya's beautiful smile which she always had while talking to him was replaced by a resentful and sad gaze for him. He knew he had broken Chaaya's trust. He found himself consumed by guilt as he reflected on the events of the day. He remembered their conversation earlier in the day when he was copying his Chemistry work from Chaaya's notebook and Chaaya was reading her novel.

When she had completed her novel, she had turned to his side and after thinking for a while called out for him, "Vinay" and he just hummed at her. "Actually I wanted to request something from you," she paused and looked at his expression checking if he was listening to her or not, she then continued again,"I know Ayaan is your friend and that's why you listen to what he says. But sometimes it's okay to say No."

Hearing her say this, Vinay turned towards her to say something, "Chaaya-" but Chaaya interrupted him "Please just let me complete. See I'm not saying anything bad about Ayaan or your friendship with him. I just am requesting you to not bunk classes and not to do anything stupid and listen to teachers for a while," Vinay just nodded listening to her.

Chaaya smiled brightly at that and extended her little finger towards him, "Pinky Promise," Vinay smiled at the face she made, she looked too cute then but he just nodded again,"Pinky Promise," and went back to his work.

He smiled a little while remembering that innocent and happy smile, she gave him but then her disappointed eyes flashed in front of him. He had decided that he was going to pacify her back but he didn't know what to do. He never had any girlfriend or female friend or a sister to know this, so he went to his mother and explained the situation to her. His mother was a really sweet lady. Vinay was an only child so he was really close to both his parents and loved them a lot.

For his parents he was the apple of their eyes. When she heard all that had happened, she looked at him with the exact same expressions as Chaaya, of hurt and disappointment. "Vinu, I have always taken pride in you. It doesn't matter to us whether you get 90+ marks or not, what mattered to us was that if you are satisfied we are too. But, today I feel disappointed," she calmly told him and Vinay felt worse than before because he had disappointed not only Chaaya but also his own mother.

"Mumma, I'm feeling guilty. I did not want to do that but I don't know, I could not refuse Ayaan, you know it, he was my first friend in school. How could I deny his request? But, I really want to make it up to Chaaya, she's my first female friend who has always made me feel comfortable, respected my boundaries and trusted me but I broke her trust," he spoke in a rather sad tone, his mother understood his inner turmoil, after all he was her son.

"Vinu, she considered you her friend, requested you to listen to her just for one time. You told me, she's a chatterbox but today after the incident, she didn't speak even a word to you. That means she's really hurt with your behavior. And she was not wrong here, she just wanted what was good for you, she was the one saving you from all the scoldings by the teachers. She was worried something bad will happen, and see now your trip is cancelled, you won't be able to go on that trip anymore. So, if she's important to you then you have to pacify her. She respected your choice, let you be but still was by your side. Now it's your turn, do something in her style," when his mother finished speaking, Vinay got all the enlightenment he needed.

He understood what he had to do. He hugged his mother and thanked her for her help, "Thank you mumma, you are the best, love you, bye," and then ran back inside his room.

So guys, that's it for the sixth chapter

I hope you liked it and if you did please vote and comment.

Kindly leave your reviews about the chapter.
What do you think Vinay is going to do to pacify our dear Chaaya?
Make a Guess!

Word Count: 1380 words

Bye, Until the next update!

With Love ❤
Signing off
Vee