21.Reception Party

Author's POV.

It was their reception party today. As evening approached, everyone was busy with their own tasks. Natasha, too, was getting ready in the room.

Siddharth came from behind and hugged her, startling her. "Relax, it's me," he said reassuringly.

She breathed a sigh of relief. "You're so strange sometimes," she said, looking at him as he chuckled.

"Oh, am I?" he replied with a sly smile.

"Of course you are,"she said as he giggled.

"You're looking gorgeous, by the way, as always," he said with a grin, causing her to blush a little.

"Thank you," she said, returning his smile.

"Let's go now, shall we?" he asked as she nodded.

He gently grabbed her hand, and they made their way downstairs to where the reception party was being held. However, upon seeing so many people, she stopped midway and looked at him, a bit worried.

"What's wrong, dear?" he asked, concerned.

"There are so many people here, I don't feel comfortable," she said, her tone anxious.

"I understand, but it's okay. You don't have to stay with them all the time," he reassured with a smile. "I'll be with you the whole time, don't worry, hmm?" he said, comforting her as she nodded.

"Well, okay, if you say so," she said, smiling a little as he held her hand tightly, intertwining his fingers with hers.

They were greeted by others, and they took their seats. Everything was going fine; Siddharth was with Natasha all this time, and she was also comfortable with his presence.

Natasha and Siddharth were sitting there, exchanging greetings with others when Natasha's gaze fell upon her old college friend at the party. Instantly, a surge of animosity coursed through her veins. It was the friend who had intentionally ruined her mother's dress during a farewell party. The dress Natasha was wearing for this very occasion. She glared at her former friend with simmering anger.

Siddharth leaned down and whispered in her ear, "What's wrong, wifey?"

She looked at him, flustered by the nickname. "Uh, umm, nothing," she said, trying to brush it off.

He raised an eyebrow. "Don't lie."

"Actually, this girl there... ruined my mother's dress which I wore for a farewell party in my college," she explained.

"Your mom must've scolded you, right?" he said, looking at the girl and back at her.

But she fell silent, which was confusing for Siddharth.

"Hey, what happened?" he asked, concerned.

"My mom died when I was 10 years old," she said, sadness evident in her voice.

He rubbed her back soothingly. "I'm so sorry, I forgot," he said, as she looked at him with a confused frown.

"Forgot? But you came to know this today," she said, catching him off guard.

"Uhhh... I mean... I," he stuttered nervously, not knowing what to say.

"Siddharth?" she called, looking at him in confusion. "How do you know?" she asked.

"N-no, I don't know, really. I just... It just slipped from my tongue," he said with a smile, trying hard to convince her.

However, she stopped talking about that topic and looked away, still not believing him, but choosing to stay silent for now.