Chapter Thirty-One

Three days later

Gita tightened her bulletproof vest on her torso, making sure it was secured properly. She was back in the saddle as it were. She had to stick close to Roike, part of her return to work program so they could assess if she was going to be a danger to herself. She didn't care, she was just happy she was back in the thick of it. That and she was feeling a little more mellow. It turned out when you had someone relying on you, waiting for you to come home, you tended to not want to be a jackass with your own life.

But still, they were getting ready to converge on Sleepy Burrow. She knew the WC had taken point but she couldn't explain how... calming it was knowing that Flint was out there as well. She couldn't believe how much he had come to mean to her in the past few weeks. His modest cottage near the forest had turned rather quickly into a place she was content to call home.

Which, for her, was huge. She hadn't had a place to call home since her great grandmother died. But Flint had made that possible. She was actually giddy thinking about the future, thinking about building up the Anders clan. There wasn't this fog of hopelessness, wondering if it even mattered anymore. She had a chance at building the Anders clan back up and Flint was right by her side with that.

She honestly lucked out, she really did. When they were getting ready to leave early that morning he had given her kiss and asked her if they could order takeout and have a bath when they got home because they would be too exhausted to cook. She had damn near melted and had readily agreed. Quick food and a bath with her hunky mate after an exhausting mission? Fuck yah, she wasn't stupid enough to turn that down.

Roike slapped the front of her vest. "Good?" He gave her a look and she nodded. "Seriously, Margita, you good? These guys tortured you and I want to ensure you're rock solid."

Gita shrugged slightly. "I'm good. I want to beat the snot out of them, kill quite a few. But I'm good." Flint had helped a lot with that. Over the past few weeks they had talked a lot and he had been intent on her talking about what she remembered happening. It was spotty, super fucking spotty, but talking about the faint things she did remember, did help. Especially when Flint would validate feelings she had she wasn't even sure she knew where they came from due to her memory being shot from the wolfsbane.

She seriously fucking lucked out with getting him. She had such a shit run of luck in her life, the moon must have been really looking out for her. Divine intervention and all that.

"I'm serious." He crouched down his bulk and looked at her as he grabbed the top of her vest firmly. "You're Flint's mate. No matter how he feels about me right now. I'm not watching his mate throw herself into dangerous situations to get hurt. Is that understood?"

As much as Gita wanted to roll her eyes, she did get it. She was still pissed at him over the whole banishing Flint thing, but she got it. "Yes, I got it. I have something to lose now and Flint and I have a date after this." She met his gaze and raised an eyebrow. "I plan on making it."

He smirked and let her vest go before thumping his palm against it. "Good to hear. Let's go." She nodded and followed him. Her gear felt nice on, it had been a while since she had worn it. It made her feel a bit more secure.

She looped her thumbs into the vest and lifted her chin. It wasn't hard to keep track of Roike, she knew werewolves tended to be a bit more muscular but the man looked like he pumped iron. Definitely not as much as that dragon shifter, Octavius, that dude was muscle on muscle but in a way that looked natural and not beefy. Which she thought was impossible but apparently not.

They walked into the meeting grounds and she watched the higher levels start talking, planning how the take down was going to go. She was aware of other mid-level agents glancing at her. She figured they must have been told about her capture and this was the first time many of them were seeing her in, what she was sure was, months.