Chapter Eighteen

Gita came back to consciousness with her head aching like a dragon had stomped on it, a noxious and bitter taste her throat, and very little recollection of why. She groaned low in her throat and reached up, pressing the heel of her hand to her temple as she rubbed it in a small circle. "Fuck me." She rasped it out, trying to remember just what it was that had caused the pounding in her head and that disgusting taste in her mouth. It was like her brain had been a switchboard that was very slow to come back on line. "What the fuck did I have?" Her mouth and throat felt dry but her stomach was so queasy she felt like she would heave if she attempted water.

"Wolfsbane." The word was clipped and she cracked an eye open, a werewolf stood there, his arms over his chest and his insignia making him as one step above her in the WC food chain.

She let out another groan. "Sounds about right." The fact an upper tier was there did not bode well and Gita rubbed her forehead. "Forced or was it voluntary?" She couldn't remember jack shit and her brain was still coming on-line. Her mind was blank at the moment, nothing there to let her know what had happened or how.

"Forced." The word was again clipped and Gita wondered just how much trouble she had gotten herself into as the upper tier came over and grasped her arm. "You were cut and doused."

Her arm was bandaged and she winced. "That must have burned like a bitch." She muttered it out and struggled to sit up a bit more. Her body felt like it was filled with lead and it shook as she tried to move. The upper tier helped her up, putting some pillows behind her so she could slump back into them but still be somewhat upright. "Thanks." He grunted in response and crossed his arms over his chest. "How bad is it? How bad did I fuck up?" Her heart was in her throat as she looked up at him. She had done some questionable things during her time as a WC agent but never to the point where an upper tier was on guard duty. She knew she fucked up bad enough that this wasn't going to be a slap on the wrist sort of thing and that made her feel panicky.

"It wasn't just your fuck up." He said it slow before heaving out a sigh and rubbing his face. "You never should have been out there alone, you should have had a partner. That should have been the mission parameters but it wasn't. You fucked up by taking the job in the first place when you knew the mission parameters were shit, Agent Anders." He gave her a stern look. "Am I clicking any sort of lights on for you?"

Gita winced as she thought back, things were slowly coming back but it was all disjointed. "Sleepy town? Something Sleepy. Reconnaissance for sure but outside of that nothing." She knew there were other things she was missing, big gaps she knew were probably important but there was nothing to grasp onto.

"To be expected. The amount of wolfsbane in your system was enough that it could induce minor brain damage. Memory loss is common." The short way he said it had her giving another groan as she rubbed the heel of her hand against her temple again. "It might come back but it might not."

That had her letting out a small hiss of frustration. "Well then, the mission was an utter failure and I got doused for nothing." If she wasn't able to remember the important bits of the mission then the entire thing was fucked and she could have failed the entire set up. No wonder the upper tier was there, she was totally going to get shit canned for it. Gita wasn't a person to cry but the thought that she was going to lose her job made her want too. It was all she had left since she lost the last bit of her clan, since she lost her grannie.

"Not really. You got the info back to your handler before you were caught. We have what we need to go back in and eradicate the cultists." His words were even and she gave a heavy sigh, sinking into the pillows a touch more.

"Great. Glad that it didn't go completely tits up." She gave him a shaky smile and his rather strong cut face was impassive. "So, is this where you tell me I'm cut?" She looked up at him with a grimace. "That I fucked up for the last time?" Her voice shook ever so slightly and his mouth twitched slightly.