Chapter Twenty-Seven

Flint walked to the front door, well aware that Gita was following him. He worked a dangerous job, he knew the risks but from what he had gathered from that idiot Barry, Gita had kicked the absolute shit out of half of the cultist before they took her down. His female was perfectly capable to watch his back. He was actually proud of it, he had been impressed when he heard it but after the mating fever had settled he had been absolutely tickled, adorable and a certifiable badass that could take down a baker's dozen cultists? Flint was pretty sure he was nearly all the way in love with her.

It didn't hurt that she was fucking gorgeous and sexy. Flint wasn't ashamed to say he won the fucking jackpot. What other female would be okay with him staying an operative and doing his job because she had a very similar job? None. He had lucked out in the best possible way when it came to a pairing he didn't really have a choice in.

He opened it and was only half surprised to see Roike. He had expected the male to show up eventually. Not just because he was in charge of Gita or as the contact for the WC but because Roike had a tendency to not let things go. It had been over a decade but Flint knew that his banishment would have gnawed on Roike for years. Flint wasn't going to say he never thought about his clan or Roike, he had but he had been too busy surviving to put much effort into thinking about the past.

"Roike." Flint crossed his arms over his chest, leaning against the door frame.

The other man stared at him with wide eyes for a few moments before he coughed into his hand, looking away, "Flint."

"Roike." Gita smoothly stepped out from behind him and Flint fought back a smirk as he let a his arm drop and pressed a palm to her lower back. "What did you need?" She crossed her own arms over her chest, looking up at the large male.

"I needed to check on you. You've been unreachable since leaving the Order's base of operations. Despite you being put on leave, I'm still responsible for you." He looked nervous and was avoiding looking at him and Flint thought it was amusing. Was there a part of him that felt a bit of disquiet about seeing the male again? Yes but he did his best to smother it though, he had let that shit go, moved on. Even with Brutus telling him he could go back to Maddock, Flint had buried it and moved on. No going back now.

There was a bit of silence and Flint watched Gita lazily, this was her issue and he would let her approach it however she wished. "Okay, I apologize for leaving abruptly. I got mated and we've been busy bonding." Gita reached over slightly, looping a finger through one of Flint's belt loops. "Lots of bonding." Flint watched as Gita got a shit eating grin on her face. "Bonding... better yet boning. We've been busy having a lot of sex, so much sex, banging all over the house."

Flint covered his face with his free hand, laughing low. He couldn't even say he was shocked at it. Gita could be a mess of contradictions at times. She got all red faced and gaspy when he murmured how much he wanted to fuck her but she could sit there and give it right back to him. And he was learning she could be a petty little shit and he loved it. Flint himself could be a little petty and sarcastic so having a female who did it as well was icing on the perfect, delicious, little cake with a great ass.

"That's-" Roike cut himself off and Flint was still chuckling when he lowered his hand from his face. "I don't... I don't really know what to say to that." Roike winced slightly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Congrats? I mean I'm happy for you." His gaze flicked to Flint and Flint simply raised an eyebrow. "Both of you." A strange expression crossed Roike's face and Flint knew exactly where it was going to go.

"I'm fine, Roike. It was just an op." It was just an op. He had confronted a lot of 'demons' in that op. His brother, his former clan, Roike, all unintended but still. It was just a job, just like he knew it was just how it was when Roike was the one to banish him.