Never Anger Mother

The next day, a weekend morning, Vivienne received a call from the hospital informing her that Alex had regained consciousness and was urgently requesting to see her.

Upon arrival, Alex, weakened yet anxious, immediately asked about Luna's well-being. Vivienne couldn't help but laugh, "Man, you're here half out of this world, and you're worried about her? You're the one who's hurt. Luna's doing just fine!"

Relieved, Alex shared that Captain Nathan had visited him, stating Vivienne was now responsible for Luna's safety. He cautioned her, "This case isn't as straightforward as it seems... Be very careful, Vivienne."

Vivienne chuckled, "Doubting me? Well then, you'd better spill the beans about what exactly happened the other night. I could use a lesson or two from your experience."

Alex's gaze drifted to the IV drip, his thoughts seemingly far away. "That day, after dropping Luna off, she unexpectedly invited me in. I, of course, couldn't refuse. Luna seemed a bit off, as if she wanted to say more but held back. Noticing a piano in the living room, I mentioned I'd heard of her musical talent and asked if she'd play something. She declined, expressing her hatred for the piano, something she learned only because her mother insisted. She confessed that her greatest fear was disappointing her mother, striving only to be the person her mother wanted."

Alex, visibly tired from talking, paused before continuing, "Luna also mentioned the morning conversation with Lilith—about how I should stop seeing her. Ignoring Lilith's wishes again tonight made her uneasy. She ominously warned me not to anger her mother..."

"Leaving Luna's, I encountered Lilith on my way out. Surprised and angered, she glared at me without a word and walked off. Burdened by guilt and wondering if I was causing Luna unnecessary trouble, I realized my actions weren't so different from those secretly admiring her, perhaps even more sinister—I was abusing my position to get close to her. I decided then to step back and stop 'affectionately intruding' on her life," he said with self-deprecating laughter.

Vivienne, sympathetic and understanding, gently patted his hand.

"Lost in thought, I was suddenly startled by a gunshot in the alley. It took seconds to realize I'd been shot. Seeing my chest bleeding out, I laughed, thinking how embarrassing it was for a cop to not even think to look back... A real disgrace."

Vivienne joked, "The shooter was hidden; did you expect him to wait for you to turn around? He was long gone!"

Alex looked at Vivienne worriedly, "You need to be careful," he said pensively, "I think you should look into Lilith. Her attitude towards her daughter is... peculiar."

Vivienne nodded, "I'll be cautious, don't worry." She tucked him in and smiled tenderly.

Leaving the hospital, Vivienne received a call from Gregory, "Where did you vanish to this early, Vivienne? Cathy called me, saying she couldn't find her mom. I'm on my way to your place to pick up Cathy. How about we all go to the amusement park?"

Vivienne hesitated, "Well, but..."

Gregory cut her off, "No 'buts.' You promised Cathy two weeks ago. If you don't keep your word, she'll start doubting you. How will you face her as her mother? Don't disappoint those who love you!"

Chastised by Gregory's words, all Vivienne could do was laugh, "Alright, alright, I surrender, okay? I'll be home in fifteen minutes. Wait for me!"