Guardian Angel

Alex landed the role he had been dreaming of—escorting Luna to and from work. His female colleagues were envious of Luna: having an armed bodyguard was like something out of a crime drama. The male colleagues, though jealous, found it prudent not to display hostility towards a police officer.

Vivienne, in an effort to verify some details of the case, had visited Luna and Lilith at home. It appeared the murder had little impact on the mother and daughter; in fact, Vivienne arrived to find them laughing and applying cucumber face masks, a scene of harmony and relaxation.

Vivienne learned that Luna's father was once a well-known star in the entertainment industry. He fell in love with Lilith, a journalist at the time, and they soon had a daughter. However, love in the entertainment world can be fleeting. The star quickly fell for someone else and emigrated overseas with his new love, leaving Lilith and their daughter as if they were mere afterthoughts.

Lilith proved to be a strong woman, raising her daughter alone while striving in her career. Far from being defeated by the betrayal of the man she loved, she used it as motivation to achieve success in her profession, raising her daughter to be exceptional. She bought a house, a car, and provided a comfortable life for her daughter, offering her a nurturing environment to grow up in.

Vivienne admired Lilith, though she was somewhat critical of her indifference towards the sudden death of a man who could have been her son-in-law. The coldness displayed by her and her daughter seemed off-putting. However, understanding Lilith's marital background shed some light: years of unhappy marriage and distrust in men could have made her focus solely on herself and her daughter, caring little for anyone else.

Days passed without incident, leading Vivienne to suggest that Alex's bodyguard duties were no longer necessary. "The murder was targeted. The killer waited for Luna to leave before acting, which suggests she was not his intended target. You'd be better off spending your time tracking down the gun and bullets used; we're at a dead end with our current leads."

Alex, however, whispered, "Vivienne, I've been meaning to tell you, I feel like someone has been following Luna. It's suspicious. Maybe, we could find a clue through this."

Vivienne raised an eyebrow. "Following? And how could anyone get the chance? Luna is chauffeured by her mom to and from work, protected by a police escort, and never leaves her house once she's inside. Tell me, how is she supposed to be followed?"

Vivienne thought Alex was being excessive, growing frustrated herself. Was this boy focusing on the case or trying to play the hero?

Unperturbed, Alex insisted, "It's just a hunch, but I feel like someone's lurking in the shadows, watching her. Once, after I escorted her inside, I spotted a man in a hat from across their lawn, staring intently at their building. He bolted when he saw me, and I lost him when I tried to follow..."

Vivienne rolled her eyes. "Please, you're a police officer, not a psychic. And bringing up such an unsubstantiated suspicion is unlike you."

Annoyed, Alex retorted, "Say what you will, but I'm still responsible for her safety. I can't leave her in potential danger..." With that, he stormed off.

Vivienne was left feeling stifled.

After work, she vented to Gregory over dinner, "Do all men see themselves as heroes, waiting for a damsel in distress to rescue?"

It was Gregory's first time seeing Vivienne so downcast. He smiled gently, "What's wrong, Vivienne? Is the job stress getting to you?"

Hearing him say that nearly brought tears to her eyes. Gregory understood her so well. "Gregory, this is my first case on my own, and I'm clueless where to start. I have to report to my superiors daily, but with no progress, what am I supposed to tell them?" She fiddled with her fingers, looking dejected.

Gregory reached out, holding one of Vivienne's restless hands. "Vivienne, I think you're too worried about the outcome. Everyone was impressed with your last performance; why doubt yourself now? Oh, is the title 'lady detective' putting pressure on you, little girl?"

Tears welled up in Vivienne's eyes as Gregory gently stroked her hair. "Remember, dear, 'lady detective' isn't a role you play for others. Forget about it when you're working a case. Just being yourself is enough."

Vivienne nodded, her tears giving way to a grateful smile.