The Deceased Elizabeth

The next day, Vivienne was assigned to investigate and collect evidence in a community related to the case. While in the car, she went through the files: the deceased was named Elizabeth, 28 years old, from the north, divorced, with a six-year-old daughter. 

The little girl was being fostered by a local family, and Vivienne was on her way to this family to gather information.

This was an elderly couple, who were not very familiar with their employer, Elizabeth. They only knew that she was a woman who sought business in bars and KTVs, lived in a small apartment with a few "sisters," slept during the day, went out at night, and occasionally visited her daughter. She would leave money and then depart, appearing not very close to her daughter.

As the elderly couple rambled on, Vivienne sat and took notes, occasionally glancing at the little girl playing with a small teddy bear on a stool. The girl, named Cathy, was as pretty as a doll but bore a cold and silent demeanor, lacking the innocence and liveliness typical of children her age. Occasionally, she would swiftly glance at Vivienne and then hurriedly lower her eyes, continuing to play with her toy.

The grandmother brought out a bowl of egg custard, feeding the child while speaking to Vivienne, "Ah, what should be done with this child? They said her family has been notified, but it's been several days, and no one has shown up. To speak heartlessly, does her family not plan to take her back?"

Vivienne comforted her, "Auntie, don't worry. Even if her family doesn't care, we will. We'll find her family members, you can be assured of that."

The grandmother sighed, "Honestly, we've grown fond of Cathy after taking care of her for so long. How could we not feel attached? But as you see, we're both so old, we really can't afford to raise her."

Cathy looked up at the grandmother and then lowered her head. Vivienne didn't want to discuss the details of her mother's death in front of the child, so she asked the grandfather to take Cathy out to play for a while.

With Cathy gone, Vivienne began to ask the grandmother, "Auntie, can you recall the last time you saw Elizabeth?"

The grandmother spoke at length, "It was two days before her incident. She came to see Cathy and even bought her a new dress. Elizabeth was so excited to try the new dress on Cathy, but Cathy wouldn't have it. She refused to let her mother touch her, didn't want the new dress, and even made a fuss for her mother to leave."

Vivienne asked, "Was Cathy not close to her mother?"

The grandmother exclaimed, "People say not to speak ill of the dead, and I really didn't want to criticize her, but that mother was quite irresponsible. According to her own words, she had nothing much to do during the day but sleep and drink. Even so, she seldom visited her own daughter, sometimes only once a month. She would just leave money and go, her daughter wanting a hug, and she'd say, 'I'm in a hurry to go back to drinking.' Look at this kind of mother!"

The elder continued, "We're not blood-related to Cathy, but seeing other children pampered by their parents while this child is so lonely, it's heartbreaking. Although Elizabeth didn't give us much money, my husband and I tried our best to spend it on the child. To be honest, we haven't even treated our own grandchildren this well!"

Vivienne praised her, "Yes, Auntie, it's evident you care deeply for Cathy. She's clean and healthy; you're truly a kind person."

The grandmother was pleased and went inside to retrieve a photo, "Officer Vivienne, this photo was taken of the mother and daughter in the park two months ago," she said eagerly, "Take it with you!"

In the photo, a heavily made-up woman smiled coquettishly at the camera, next to a serious-faced little girl by a flowerbed, seemingly in early spring. Vivienne pocketed the photo, thanked the grandmother, and left.

In the community's playground, Vivienne saw Cathy swinging and squatted down, stroking the child's black hair, "Cathy, do you miss your mom?"

Cathy looked up at her, "No!"