The Heart Has Its Reasons

After work, Vivienne stepped out of the building and saw Gregory standing under a willow tree (as seen in the series case "Water Tank"), holding Cathy's hand (from the series case "Night Wanderer") in one and a large cotton candy in the other. Cathy, holding another cotton candy, was eagerly licking it. A colleague spotted them and teased Vivienne, "Ha, there he is again. He sure knows how to make an impression, going the roundabout way by winning over the little one first!"

Upon seeing Vivienne, Gregory smiled and waved. Cathy shouted, "Mommy!" Seeing their beaming faces, all the day's fatigue vanished for Vivienne. She briskly walked over to them. Cathy hugged her legs, and Gregory offered her the cotton candy, bringing a bloom of a smile to Vivienne's face.

Since meeting Vivienne three months earlier during the investigation of his father's murder case, Gregory, overwhelmed by gratitude and admiration, was deeply captivated by this intelligent, cheerful, elegant, and righteous girl. Choosing not to return to Australia, he opened an art gallery on North Shore, dedicating himself to both his hobby and his love.

It seemed an unlikely pairing - a policewoman and an artist - yet Vivienne was charmed. She seemed to favor men of his type: gentle with a hint of melancholy, and an elegant air of a wanderer.

Aware of Cathy's existence, Gregory admired Vivienne's uniqueness even more. How could anyone be such a naturally understated, sincere, and joyful single mother to an orphaned girl? He felt he had found a treasure.

Hand in hand with Cathy, they strolled down the street. After Sophia (from "The Nocturnal Wanderer") was jailed, she bequeathed her North Shore house to Vivienne and Cathy. Now closer to the police station, Vivienne moved into Sophia's house and even hung a portrait of Sophia on the wall. Gregory was astounded to learn that the gentle and delicate woman in the photograph was a serial killer responsible for six deaths, marveling at the incredible story of the woman he loved and her remarkable character.

Vivienne, who seldom fussed over herself, had a room with only a few skincare products and no makeup, yet she loved collecting perfume bottles, cherishing the fragrant essence they added to her life. This, perhaps, was her most feminine trait.

Vivienne now sported a short, chic haircut that accentuated her bright, lively eyes and a small dimple on her cheek, making her laughter ring clear and crisp. Dressed casually in jeans and a white T-shirt, she and Cathy could be mistaken for carefree young girls, an unexpected sight for a formidable policewoman.

Gregory couldn't help but recall a few lines of poetry: "In the presence of an enlightened monk, seeking guidance on the path ahead, my heart, unwittingly, drifts towards her..." His heart, deeply and irrevocably, was captivated by her.

In a sweet moment, the trio shared laughs and headed to dinner, fulfilling Gregory's promise to Cathy. Vivienne ordered a feast, exclaiming, "I'm starving!" With the police station less busy, her appetite surged. Gregory joked, "It's best when you're not busy. Hey, wouldn't it be great if all cops were out of work? It'd mean we've achieved lasting peace..."

Before he could finish, Vivienne's phone rang. It was the captain calling. Munching on a chicken wing, her words muffled, she answered, "Captain, what's up?"

"Vivi, there's been a shooting in Central Park. The victim's been rushed to the hospital. Come quick!"

Grabbing her bag, Vivienne glared at Gregory, "See, it's your jinx. Now, I've got work! Take care of Cathy for me today, please?" Snatching a hamburger, she dashed off.

Shaking his head, Gregory mused on the unpredictability of optimism. Sighing, he watched Cathy continue to eat, unfazed by Vivienne's sudden call to duty. It seemed emergency call-ups were all too familiar for her. Realizing he needed to adjust quickly, he smiled to himself, considering this the "cost of love."