Could Luna Be the Cause of Trouble?

Throughout the day, Vivienne and Alex were on their feet, making rounds and visits. Their first stop was the park, in search of eyewitnesses—the caller had discovered Franklin half an hour after the incident, with no on-site witnesses currently known. 

The park was bustling with activity. On inspecting the scene, Vivienne noted that Franklin had collapsed in a secluded part of the park, a pebble path separated from the rest by a bamboo grove. Beyond the grove lay the park's central garden, alive with visitors. Vivienne pondered, "The murderer must have come prepared, likely equipping the gun with a silencer. Otherwise, firing a gun in such a location would have undoubtedly drawn the attention of visitors beyond the bamboo, potentially hampering the murderer's escape."

Vivienne calculated the timeline: Luna and Franklin parted at nine, with Luna reaching home about twenty minutes later. Franklin was found at a quarter past ten. Given the extent of his blood loss, the coroner deduced he was likely killed around 9:45 PM. What could have compelled Franklin to return to the park after parting with his girlfriend, only to be murdered? Could the murderer have lured him back?

Immediately, Vivienne sought Franklin's phone records from the telecommunications department. Between 9:00 and 9:30 PM, he made two calls—to Luna and Lilith; he received three calls: one from a coworker, one from his mother, and one from a public phone. After scrutinizing, it was found that Franklin had called Lilith to report her daughter had arrived home—fulfilling a maternal request to keep track of her whereabouts; at 9:24 PM, he checked if Luna had safely arrived home.

The calls from his mother and coworker were unremarkable, but the third call, received at 9:31 PM from an unknown number and traced to a payphone near the park, stood out. In an era where everyone owns a cellphone, who would use a payphone to contact him? The timing and location of this call aligned perfectly with the circumstances of Franklin's murder. 

The caller, likely the murderer, waited near the park, using a public phone to summon Franklin back, agreeing on a meeting spot. Within minutes of their meeting, the murderer shot Franklin on sight.

Vivienne furrowed her brows in thought. If so, several questions arose: First, how did the murderer choose a meeting spot in the same park Franklin had just been on a date? Was he being followed? Second, the ease with which the murderer contacted Franklin and got him to the location swiftly suggests Franklin knew the person. Third, if the murderer was hiding, why not shoot from behind? Was it to savor Franklin's shock and fear?

With no eyewitnesses, Vivienne and Alex moved on to interviewing Franklin's acquaintances. Described as straightforward and friendly, handsome, wealthy, with no bad habits or known enemies, who would want to kill him? Given Vivienne's initial theory of an acquaintance being the murderer, delving into his social circle became crucial.

At Franklin's age, a crime of passion was highly probable. Since Luna was his new girlfriend, there must have been an ex-girlfriend. After all, who experiences their first love at 27? If so, that person would be either a saint or a monster. After four hours of searching, they located Franklin's ex-girlfriend, who had split from him six months prior, and two more hours to rule her out as a suspect—she was blissfully enjoying a new relationship.

Suddenly, Alex spoke earnestly, "Vivienne, your deduction is impressively thorough."

Caught off guard, Vivienne replied, puzzled, "What? What deduction?"

Alex continued seriously, "The theory you shared on our way here about the murderer—possibly following Franklin and Luna on their date before killing Franklin."

Vivienne was still confused, wondering why he would bring this up out of the blue.

Alex posited, "If Franklin's ex-girlfriend is unrelated to the case, and if it's a crime of passion, then it's likely related to his current girlfriend, right?" His face was serious but slightly flushed, "Vivienne, I think Miss Luna is in danger. Consider this: the murderer, armed and having easily killed Franklin, could just as easily target others. If it's a crime of passion and Luna is involved, isn't she also at risk?"

He boldly suggested, "Vivienne, we should ensure Luna's safety, at least escort her to and from work."

Understanding dawned on Vivienne, who playfully inquired, "And who shall we assign, I should inform the captain, right?"

Blushing, Alex responded, "You decide, no need to trouble the captain. Vivienne, though you're two years younger, you're the leader in our partnership. I volunteer, is that okay?"

Vivienne was both amused and irritated, yet Alex's reminder was pertinent: If Franklin's death was unrelated to his ex-girlfriend, could it involve his recent girlfriend of just a month? After all, such an attractive young woman would undoubtedly attract many admirers. Could Luna's beauty have inadvertently brought about this tragedy?