Undercover Vivienne

Rebecca spoke with concise clarity and an upbeat tone, resembling a graceful diplomat, "Captain Nathan, it's a pleasure to meet you. It's unfortunate that our company has been involved in such a horrific incident. Please rest assured, we will fully cooperate with the police in solving this case."

As the secretary brought in two cups of coffee, Rebecca graciously invited her guests to enjoy the beverage. With a gentle smile, she suggested, "Captain Nathan, as a renowned enterprise, we always prioritize our reputation. Although the incident is unrelated to our economic performance, its outcome and impact, if not managed properly, could indeed affect our operations. While we fully support your investigation, we also ask for your help in keeping the information contained to protect our corporate reputation and maintain order."

Given the prior calls from two leaders, Nathan felt compelled to grant her this courtesy, "Deputy Manager Rebecca, we understand the situation and will do our utmost to maintain your company's normal operations. As for keeping the case confidential, you can count on us. That is part of our duty, after all."

Rebecca responded with a slight smile, "Captain Nathan, you're indeed straightforward."

Nathan was not ready to compromise on securing advantages for the investigation, "Deputy Manager Rebecca, given the high level of interest in this case from city officials, we are under considerable pressure to solve it quickly. I'm sure you're eager to clear up any uncertainties. We need to deploy specialists to inspect the entire building, which we will do without disrupting your operations, proceeding floor by floor. Additionally, we may need to interview your employees. We hope for your support and permission."

Rebecca nodded, "Of course."

After their meeting, Nathan lifted the lockdown order and dispatched the forensic team to conduct a thorough investigation of all bathrooms and storage rooms within the Max Real Estate office building. He was 90% certain the crime scene was inside the building. 

He also made a point of checking with the company's human resources department for any employees with a criminal record or those unaccounted for.

Days passed without yielding any substantial leads. No concrete evidence suggested that the murder and dismemberment took place there. Exhausted from searching 92 bathrooms and several storage rooms, conducting a detailed search of the entire building seemed impractical given the urgency imposed by Chief Christopher, who was making thrice-daily inquiries, adding to Nathan's stress.

Meanwhile, it appeared as though Max Real Estate's employees had been specially trained, making the inquiry difficult as most claimed ignorance. The identity of the dismembered woman remained a mystery; she was neither a current nor former employee, as confirmed by a thorough check of the company's HR records. All individuals associated with the company were accounted for. Who was this murdered woman?

The case was at a standstill.

Nathan sensed deep complexities within Max Real Estate. After a few days of interactions, he had started to understand the company's mid-level managers. They all seemed inscrutable, tight-lipped. What was keeping them so uniformly silent? Could it be that this renowned company harbored dark secrets, forcing those in the know to remain cautious and silent?

Nathan wished for an informant within the company but faced a solid wall of silence. He reported this challenge to Chief Christopher.

Chief Christopher, a stout man in his fifties with thick eyebrows, frowned deeply, "Nathan, this case is complex, possibly quite tricky. Our traditional, straightforward detective methods seem ineffective..."

Suddenly, his eyes lit up, and his brows relaxed, "Hey, why not plant an undercover agent within their ranks?"

Nathan looked at him in surprise. The chief clapped his hands, "This is sure to work! I have a well-connected acquaintance in their HR department. He could introduce one of our officers as an employee. Of course, I'll say it's a relative looking for a job. He owes me a favor and will definitely agree to this!"

Following Chief Christopher's instructions, Nathan scoured the city's police departments for a young, clever female officer suitable for the role. Within a week, he found her.

This officer was young, smart, beautiful, and efficient. Importantly, she was relatively new to the force and unknown to the outside world, making her perfect for undercover work.

Her name was Vivienne.