Dismemberment

Water Tank

The Max Real Estate Company's office building towers at the heart of North Shore city, its twenty-eight stories standing tall among its surroundings, a beacon of architectural prowess. Its facade, a curtain wall of deep blue organic glass, gleams under the sunlight with a profound radiance, exuding luxury without ostentation. 

Atop the building, four large, deep blue letters spell out "Max Real Estate"—a sight that, come nightfall, flickers with the color of seawater, illuminating the city's night sky.

On Monday, as per usual, the building's employees filed in one after another—men and women of striking appearance, each carrying an air of distinction. To work in such an esteemed office was a mark of the city's elite.

The first three floors housed the company's sales center, where each saleswoman, selected through a rigorous process and trained meticulously, moved gracefully in their short-skirted uniforms. They were vibrant and efficient, their welcoming smiles adding to the beauty of the building's lower levels.

Mira, the company's newest recruit, was the first to arrive. Understanding the importance of diligence, she changed into her uniform in the locker room. As she adjusted her hair in the mirror, turning on the tap, she was startled to see a bizarre deep red substance coating the tips of her hair. Examining her hands, she found them covered in a dark red liquid.

Initially, she thought she might have accidentally cut herself, but upon closer inspection, she found no wounds. With a growing sense of unease, she turned the tap on again, only to see deep red water flowing out. Bringing her hands closer to her nose, the pungent smell of blood hit her, prompting a scream as a chill ran down her spine. She ran out of the locker room.

The general affairs office was now bustling with people discussing the water tainted with blood, a discovery made by early arrivals from other departments. 

Standing among the crowd, Mira tried to calm herself. Dominic, the general affairs manager in his forties, attempted to soothe everyone while grabbing some tools. "The city has cut off our water supply today; we're using the reserve water from the rooftop tank. I'll go check it out; maybe it's a dead rat or something."

A colleague expressed her disgust, emphasizing the need for regular inspections and cleanliness, given the company's size. Dominic, ever patient, replied with a chuckle, "The water tank hasn't been used in a while. Who would've thought we'd have a water cut in the city center? But technically, the tank is sealed; cats or rats shouldn't be able to get in."

With Frederick, the property manager, as his assistant, Dominic headed for the rooftop. They hadn't reached the water tank when a foul stench hit them, causing Frederick to cover his nose, remarking on the smell as if someone had dumped a basket of rotten fish into the tank.

The locked iron cover of the water tank had been partially removed, revealing a gap. Unlocking it, Dominic and Frederick worked together to fully open the cover, only to be struck with horror at the sight before them. 

The water had turned a ghastly shade of red, with chunks of flesh floating amidst it—indistinct in form, yet unmistakably human in some parts, like the two mutilated arms and legs clearly visible amongst the carnage.

Frozen in shock for a full minute, they finally broke into panicked cries, as if plunged into icy waters themselves.