THIRTY

episode seven;
WET LETTUCE

episode seven;WET LETTUCE

IN ONE SWIFT movement, Jack had thrown the governor to the guard as the others trampled over each other in an attempt to flee the room. Honora watched with wide eyes and a trembling pulse as Jack exchanged the key around the older man's neck with a replica before shoving him out of the room. He said something about safety. Honora hadn't cared to listen.

"What is this, Jack?" She asked, her skin tinting pink. He turned around, his gaze soft and unshielded. For the first time, Honora knew his lies were gone. She could see his heart clearly, pumping blood quicker than normal. She could see him, all of him, and that's when she realised, with her soul on a platter, that she would trust him for eternity.

"This is all wrong," he mumbled as he walked towards her, his hand a twitching mess as it shook unnervingly. "Those bombs weren't supposed to go off for another half hour. The plan's ruined."

Honora's palm met his tense cheek that softened as soon as their skin collided, the explosions in the distance becoming nothing but a whisper in the night. "If anyone can fix this, it's you," she whispered. "As much as I hate your cunning plans, I know how desperately you want this. If you need it like I can see you can, you will make it work."

Jack stared at her, his lips parted in confusion. He couldn't decide which eye to stare at, which freckle was prettier, which eyebrow was trimmed neater. He couldn't decide anything, because he had turned into a speechless pile of admiration in her hands. He would do anything for her. He would do anything she wished. So if she wished for him to make it work, he would.

"I will," he managed to mutter through his disbelief. He kissed her hard, his lips speaking more words than his mind could seem to form. "I love you," he mumbled into her lips. He could feel her smiling.