NINETEEN

episode four;
THE STITCH UP

episode four;THE STITCH UP

HONORA WAS BETTER. Not the best, but better. Slowly, Darius had drifted further from the front of her mind. The thought of killing him had calmed, of smashing a door in his face and watching him bleed on the floor. Not for her, maybe for her, but for Rotty. For someone who deserved better than a knife to her throat. For the women who'd died at the hands of an angry man. For women, because they deserved better.

Honora closed her eyes, itching the back of her dress where the lace was tied perfectly as the Professor's carriage rolled to a halt before her. She'd watched Winnie tie it in the mirror earlier, wrapping her fingers around the white material until her skin grew red. They'd shared a look through the glass, her older sister's hands gently resting above her shoulders.

"You look beautiful, Nor," Winona had said. Honora smiled, her fingers trailing around the hemming of the corset. She wanted to speak, to thank her and say she looked gorgeous too, but she knew if she opened her mouth the only words that would come out would be: would Jack think that too?

She was slightly disappointed when Jack didn't step out of the carriage with the Professor and Sneed. She already knew he'd come separately, he wouldn't be able to stop himself from throwing a snide comment Sneed's way that would probably get himself fired. She just hoped that he would still meet his end of the promise. She didn't think she could get through the rest of the evening without him by her side.

Aster and Belle conversed beside her while the two doctor's greeted the rest of her and the governor's family. Aster's arm kept brushing against Belle's side. Aster would joke and Belle would giggle. Honora smiled absentmindedly, refusing to interrupt their moment. Were her and Jack that painfully obvious? Wait, no. It was just a Honora thing.

"I almost wore my guard uniform," Aster smirked. Honora looked up, raising a brow at him as he looked between his sister and the girl he thought had a cute nose. "What? You never know with Captain Gaining over there."