TWENTY FOUR

episode six;
BULLY IN THE ALLEY

episode six;BULLY IN THE ALLEY

"HETTY!" HONORA SHOUTED through a strangled breath as she threw open the front doors of the hospital. The nurse in the hallway stopped, her eyes wide in alarm as she took in the sight of the beaten man hanging from Honora's arm. "Gaines has lost his mind."

"What in the world happened to him?" The nurse asked as she rushed to his other side, helping Honora with his weight. They both helped him limp towards the patient wards.

Honora huffed as the man threw his head back in pain. "Gaines banned alcohol and decided to remove the drunken people from the buildings in a rather . . . violent manner." They passed through the doorway and helped the man lie down on one of the empty beds by the window. Honora sighed. "Hetty, he's killing people."

The nurse backed away from the bed. "This is insanity," she mumbled beneath her breath before signalling one of the other nurses over. "You. Get this man some water. And set up the extra beds. I have a feeling we'll need them."

The shouts from the streets quickly filtered into the hospital foyer. The agony and fear was unsettling. Hetty and Honora shared a look, one knowing glance that spoke more than their words ever could. Honora nodded, and Hetty disappeared, while Honora reached for a wet cloth.

"What's your name?" She asked the writhing man. She gently dabbed the cloth against the blood dripping down his cheek.

He groaned. "Henry," he gasped. Honora watched him struggle to speak empathetically. "Henry Miller."

She forced a smile. "That's good, Henry. I need your eyes to stay open for me, okay? What did you eat this morning?"

Honora's head was pounding. Less than a week ago, she was the patient on the bed, bleeding from her nose and struggling to tame her throbbing mind. She knew how it felt to be hopeless. To have so much you want to do and say and think, but all that appears is pain. She wished she could take it all from the man on the bed as she wiped her bloody hands on the towel hanging from the wall, listening to the beds creaking behind her as more and more people stumbled into the ward. One of the nurses started talking to Henry, writing down notes with a fake smile and a continuous nod. He looked like he was about to burst. Honora was too.