SIXTEEN

episode four;
THE STITCH UP

episode four;THE STITCH UP

 THE WIND BLEW past Honora-Rue's face, leaving a ghost of a kiss on her cheek. She closed her eyes, leaning against the pole by the hospital steps with parted lips begging for air. She relaxed, her shoulders sagging and prior anguish disappearing, while her nose heaved the weight of a bruise and a healing break.

Her temple rested against the scratchy pillar tiredly. She held the damp cloth beneath her nose as if it pained her, because it did. She wanted to run free of the barrier that kept her steady. She hated being the cared for; she wanted to be the carer. It was the Doctor beside her that held her back.

Honora refrained from scrunching her nose with confusion as her eyes fell upon the governor she knew closely. She watched him fiddle with his walking stick, throwing his head back with laughter that was louder than the random child screaming down the road. Her tongue poked the inside of her cheek.

"Why is the governor here?" She asked. She rolled her body against the pole so she could face the blond man. Her head tilted back to find the pole once more.

Jack pressed his lips together, folding his arms across his chest. The curve in his eyebrow, the crease in his forehead. Honora could tell he was annoyed.

"He wants to appoint Sneed as head surgeon," he scoffed. Honora furrowed her brows, the dampness of blood leaking from her nose becoming forgotten as she lowered the cloth.

"And what is it that you are going to do about it?"

Jack lowered his head, his hair falling over his forehead like a curtain. He looked up through the casted shadow at the woman. His lip twitched.

"Nothing. Head surgeon is a position fit for a snob like Sneed. I would hardly suit the requirements."

Honora's lips tugged into a frown. She stepped closer to him. "Don't let standards be the barrier that stops you from achieving the greatness you desire." Her skin was soft, her features glowing. Jack struggled to not get lost in them. "You are better built for a head surgeon than a man like Sneed. I know that . . . and I know you know that too."