TWO

episode one;
THE YANKEE DODGE

episode one;THE YANKEE DODGE

HONORA-RUE SWITCHED THE dial. Liquid rushed down the pipe before vaporising within the glass cage. She leant closer, resting her chin in her cupped hands, while she watched the mixture swirl into nothing but a cloud. Adrenaline rushed through her body. A smile transformed her lips as her cheeks grew bright. Her brown eyes focused on the growing gas before she softly let a content sigh fall through her mouth. She switched the contraption off.

"Working?" Lady Belle asked from her desk. She furrowed her brows, drawing her bottom lip between her teeth as she scribbled on the page beneath her. Honora watched her with gleaming eyes.

"Yes," she smiled. "We got a full bottle this time."

"Finally. Only took you four tries."

Honora walked around the device the two had created. She studied it, checking it over. She tightened the joint between the rubber cylinder and one of the covered beakers. "Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to walk through a cloud?"

Belle hummed beneath her breath, adversely distracted. "Do you mean walking on a cloud?" She dipped her pen in the small cup of ink.

"No. You cannot walk on a cloud. It's only water, but in a more . . . condensed form. Do you think you could feel it?"

"What do your books say?" Belle asked with a half-hidden smile. Honora laughed as she walked over, leaning on the desk beside her friend. She noticed the way the girl turned the page, hiding her work, yet didn't utter a word on the matter.

"My books don't say anything about it. Perhaps one day I will find out." Belle raised a brow. "It's a shame there is no fog in this place."

Belle nudged her foot with her own. "Cheer up. Wait until the winter season."