SIX

episode two;
BLESSINGS OF ST. COCCYX

 COCCYX

HONORA-RUE WATCHED JACK Dawkins close the door. He left her in the middle of the hospital entrance, saying he had something to check on before rushing away. She could hear Fagin's voice, booming and obnoxious as he passionately mentioned the peel of a citrus. She could hear thump after thump as things hit the ground. Then, it went quiet.

Nobody was around. No patients, no nurses, no surgeons. No beeping or coughing or wafting stenches. Nothing. Just a woman in a place people told her she wasn't welcome, with hopes and aspirations that had been discarded as impossible when she almost had it in her hands. Honora knew she could kick them all down the drain. She knew that, if it came down to it, she could save more people than the professor even could. Yet, she was just a woman.

Honora closed her eyes, tilting her chin up. She let the air flow through her body, flexing her fingers and calming her bustling mind. Her eyelids drew up once more, opening like a curtain to release the brightness of the building surrounding her. She blinked. Why did her eyelashes suddenly feel heavier?

Honora approached the first door in her sight. It was below the staircase, tucked away to the right. The halls on either side of the main room looked too daunting. Honora would much rather climb her way up.

She knocked gently against the wooden doorframe. The door itself was slightly ajar, yet she didn't dare peak inside. She had been raised to respect privacy and patience if she wanted it herself. Therefore, she simply rocked from the balls to the heels of her feet until someone poked their head out.

"Jack- oh. Oh my."

The woman, who was dressed in nursing attire, widened her eyes upon laying her sight on the smiling girl waiting with her hands clasped in front of her waist. She quickly opened the door and stepped outside, bowing her head as she bent her knees. She cleared her throat.