TEN

episode three;
DEAD MEN'S SECRETS

episode three;DEAD MEN'S SECRETS

HONORA IGNORED THE searing pain that came along with the bubbling blister on her arm. She didn't pull her sleeve down, as she knew the acid would only burn through the material. Instead, she continued on with pouring the dangerous liquid into the bottle with a tighter grip. This time she kept her distance.

When she heard knuckles rapping against the doorframe, she thought it was only Hetty or one of the other nurses. She mumbled a greeting to nobody in particular, not bothering to look up as she let the last few drops of acid fly into the cylinder. However, when she noticed the visitor walking around the table to stand by her side, a familiar coat trailing behind the body, she dropped the now empty glass onto the bench and spared them a smile. It was as if their presence had pressed start on her heart. As she stared into their eyes, her arm stopped hurting.

"Hello," Jack smiled kindly, eyes never drifting from her own. "How is this . . . acid business going?"

Honora grinned. "Great, actually." She looked back down at the desk and picked up the spray bottle to hand it to the man.

Jack held it up in front of his face with narrowed eyes and a crease lining his forehead. "What's this?"

Honora laughed. "The acid, genius." She gently pried it away from his hands, to which his eyes followed, only for him to jump back as she sprayed it in his face.

He groaned in disgust as he threw a hand over his face, relentlessly trying to erase the carbolic acid from his skin. However, he quickly stopped, as it never seemed to hurt in the first place.

"Can you feel it?" Honora asked with a raised brow as he lowered his hand. She already knew the answer.

Jack blinked, clearing his throat. "No, I don't seem to. Are you sure that's the acid?"