THREE

episode one;
THE YANKEE DODGE

episode one;THE YANKEE DODGE

THE GIRL IN front of Honora-Rue stared like it was all she was capable of. Her left eyebrow twitched up, creating an impermanent crease in her skin. She pulled at the itchy material digging into her neck. Her hair fell over her back in waves, golden flowers and leaves carefully woven into a headband holding it away from her dark eyes. She blinked, letting her arms fall to her side, before finally letting the breath she'd been holding in pass. She clutched at the side of the basin.

Her reflection copied her, the light dress she wore glimmering in the mirror. She closed her eyes, clenching her jaw. Banging on the bathroom door was all that could draw her away.

"Nora, my dear. I know that's you." It was a man, and that was all Honora needed to know. With a roll of her eyes, a final glance at herself in the mirror, and an adjustment of her dress, she heaved in a breath and opened up the door of the Fox's bathroom.

The man in the top hat bowed to her. He removed his hat, his balding head shining in the chandelier from the hall. Honora scrunched up her nose - he looked like every other man. She turned her head and swiftly walked past him.

"My dear, w-"

Honora spun around, her movements cutting him short. She cleared her throat, clasping her hands together in front of her waist. "I am not your dear."

The man swallowed, nodding once, before trying again. "Nora-"

"Only my friends call me Nora," she said. "I do not know you, therefore you are not a friend."

The man clenched his jaw, seemingly agitated. The girl smiled.

"Then, please, let me introduce myself." He leant down to one knee, his hand outstretched in offering. "Honora, I-"

She lifted her head. "My name is Honora-Rue." She turned around and started to walk away.

She heard the man chasing after her, his footsteps echoing down the empty hall. Her heels dug into the carpet with every quick step she took, her dress bouncing and rolling out behind her. She pressed her lips together, keeping her eyes forward. She ignored the man's failed advances.