20. Ass-sass-sins and Fathers

-

"..J, as much as I want to keep hugging you, we have to go, like now." Wynonna spoke after a minute, and JJ pulled back, standing up and helping her up, keeping his hand in hers.

He used the back of his other hand to wipe his tears away, and he smiled at her, " We need to find Rafe."

"Rafe?" Wynonna questioned with a raised eyebrow, and JJ sighed, "short version, he's helping me solve your parents murder."

Wynonna frowned, "JJ.. there's something I have to tell you.." She was interrupted by a gunshot, and the two of them ducked down,

"Shit, come on!" Wynonna and JJ ran from the three remaining men that were chasing after them.

They never let go of each other hands. It was almost like a cheesy action rom-com movie.

Neither of them really liked rom-com movies. Sure, they loved comedie movies, horror, and thriller movies, but Romantic movies weren't really their thing.

They were once forced to watch the notebook by Kiara, and they made fun of John B when he started crying.

".. Jesus christ! Stop shooting at us!" JJ shouted, turning a corner, pulling Wynonna with him.

"They're assassins, JJ! They won't stop shooting until we're dead!" Wynonna let out a small yell as a bullet flew right above her head.

"Hey, hey, are you okay!?" JJ pulled them behind a tree and checked Wynonna over,

"I'm okay, JJ. You're bleeding." Wynonna replied, bringing her hand up and taking the bandana off and pressing it against JJ'S cheek.

"Last I checked, I had this." JJ quietly said, gesturing to the bandana, and Wynonna smiled at him.

"Last I checked, you left it at my grave." She softly said, and JJ frowned before he leaned his forehead against hers.

"How.. how are you alive, Birdy? The house blew up, and..and you were inside..if you were alive this whole time..why didn't you come home to me?" JJ questioned

"I will explain everything, JJ, I promise you, but we need to get somewhere safe." Wynonna replied, hearing footsteps coming closer, and JJ sighed, but he nodded.

"Okay, I think Rafe might be with the others, your mother left clues, and it was all leading to the gold, Ward wanted the gold and the letter." JJ explained

"Of course, the gold." Wynonna muttered under her breath, shaking her head before her and JJ moved quietly to lose the men after them.

JJ and Wynonna managed to get back to the chateau, and JJ bumped into someone as he turned the corner.

"Shit!" He put himself in front of Wynonna but then realized it was only Pope and Kiara. "Oh, thank god." He breathed out.

"JJ? You're back so early..." Pope trailed off as he spotted a familiar face behind JJ. His eyes widened in disbelief.

Kiara hadn't noticed Wynonna yet, but she did when she heard Pope trail off and her eyes behind JJ.

"Birdy?" Kiara asked in disbelief, and Wynonna stepped out from behind JJ,

"Yeah, long story, but hey, did you guys know trying to solve someone's murder gets you assassins?" JJ questioned, glancing around.

That snapped Kiara out of her shock, turning her eyes at JJ. " You said you were going to some spiritual retreat to heal!" She shouted

"Yeah, that was code for, 'I'm gonna go and solve Birdy's parents murder, and I found birdy!" JJ gesturing to Wynonna, who lifted her hand and waved at them, "Hi."

"How! You blew up!" Pope exclaimed in disbelief, but he was happy that his best friend wasn't dead.

"Long story, that I will tell you once we get rid of the assassins after us." Wynonna told them, and JJ snorted, "Ass-sass-sins."

"Wait, what assassins?" Kiara questioned, and JJ looked at her, "Didn't you hear me before?"

"No, I was in shock, JJ! Birdy's alive, Oh, my God, you're alive!" Kiara pushed JJ to the side and hugged Wynonna, who let out a small laugh and hugged Kiara back.

Pope poked Wynonna on the side, and he grinned ,"Holy shit, you are!" Pope threw his arms around Wynonna and Kiara, who hasn't let go of Wynonna yet.

"Yay, a group hug while a bunch of professional killers are after us!" JJ joined the hug, " you guys get me so much."

Kiara and Pope pulled back, "Right, we need to find John B and Sarah." Pope told them,

"And Rafe, " JJ added, and both Kiara and Pope looked at him. "What?" He innocently questioned

"He killed Sheriff Perkins." Pope said, and Wynonna and JJ shared a look.

"Wait, why Rafe?" Kiara asked, crossing her arms over her chest,

"Um, okay, how about we steal those guys car, and get out of here before they find us and shoot us?" Wynonna suggested

"I think that's a good idea, let's go."

The four of them ran over to the black car and stood in front of it before Kiara, JJ, and Wynonna looked at Pope.

"What?"

- -

"..go left." Wynonna said, and Pope turned left, sighing."Why am I the one who got stuck driving?"

JJ leaned forward, "Well, for starters, nobody wanted to drive." He patted Pope on the shoulder, and Pope rolled his eyes.

"This place is a swam." Pope commented, and Kiara looked out the window, her face scrunching in digust, "literally."

"..just some overgrown weed, guys." Wynonna said, and JJ nodded, "Yeah, are you guys scared?" He teased, his voice lowering to a spooky tone.

"Are you guys afraid of something gonna come out and kill us all?" JJ questioned, Pope and Kiara shared a look.

"Boo!" Wynonna suddenly shouted, making Kiara and Pope jump.

Wynonna and JJ laughed while Kiara rolled her eyes. "Not funny, guys."

She had to admit, it was nice having Wynonna back, and seeing JJ so happy.

"Wait, stop here!" Wynonna suddenly said, the car halted as Pope stopped the car.

"We're here." They all looked out the window, seeing a cabin surrounded by trees.

The cabin was old, and it looked like it was falling apart. "Are you.. sure?" Kiara asked, and Wynonna sighed.

"Yep." She got out of the car, and JJ was quick to follow.

Pope and Kiara once again shared a look before they followed the other two.

The front door swung open, and a man came out holding a shout gun and aiming it at the teens.

"Whoa!" JJ stepped in front of Wynonna as Pope stood in front of Kiara.

"Dad! Don't! It's JJ, Pope and kie, remember!?" Wynonna yelled, stepping in front of JJ and having the shoutgun aimed at her instead of JJ.

The gun lowered, while the other three shared a shock look.

"I'm sorry, dad?!" JJ finally got a good look at the man, "Holy shit, aren't you supposed to be like dead?"

"Apparently not," Wynonna muttered, crossing her arms over her chest, throwing a glare at her father, Charlie Barlowe.

"He's been alive for years. What a surprise, right?" She sarcastically said, her tone full of anger.

"Wynonna.." Charlie started, but Wynonna looked away from her,

"Save it."

------------------------

Word count - 1188

Thoughts?