19. Birdy

-

Rafe had dropped JJ off at the chateau before he left as Ward had called him, telling him to meet him, and Rafe decided to go.

JJ watched Rafe leave before he turned and headed towards the chateau, "John B!" JJ called out, walking inside, but he got no response back.

"Yo, John B!" John B wasn't at the chateau, and JJ sighed before he sat down on the couch, running a hand through his hair.

He chuckled to himself. His birdy was alive, and she was somewhere, probably waiting for him.

He couldn't keep the smile off his face. His birdy was alive, and she was waiting for him.

He needed to find her, but first, he needed to find his friends. He pulled out his phone and pulled up John B's contact, but he paused as he heard a car pulling up.

He glanced out of the window and saw a car that he didn't recognize. Four men got out of the car, and all of them had guns.

JJ crouched down, out of sight, but kept an eye on them. They were hiding towards the chateau.

"Shit." He cursed under his breath, and he moved to the back in a rush, towards John B's room, and he closed the door, before he headed to the window as he heard the front door open and close, the floorboard creaking under the men weight.

He slid open the window and climbed out just as the door was thrown open.

A gunshot rang out, and JJ fell out of the window, his ears ringing. "Fuck!" It was a close one. The bullet missed him by an inch.

JJ quickly stood up and ran. Gunshots were heard behind him, but luck to be seemed to be on his side as all the bullets missed him.

They were behind him, he could hear them, and JJ headed to the beach, towards the cave, the waves were dangerously strong, but JJ hoped that whoever those men were don't follow him into the dangerous cave.

He remembered as he neared the cave that his birdy almost drowned in there, but Rafe was there to save her.

A bullet flew right past him, hitting the side of the cave, but it made him flinch as a stinging pain came from his cheek. It was just a gaze, and it didn't hurt as much as actually getting shot.

JJ didn't want to get shot again, so he ran inside of the cave, almost slipping a few times or getting pushed by the waves.

By the time he was further into the cave, he was soaking wet, but that didn't matter.

JJ knew the cave like the back of his hand. It might be dangerous, but what other choice did he have?

Four people are trying to kill him, and he can't go to his friends now. He couldn't put them in more danger. He just hoped that his friends and Rafe would have better luck than he is.

Another gunshot, and he flinched as it echoed.

"Hey! No shooting in the cave, assholes!" JJ shouted as he moved further into the cave,knowing where the other exit was.

The men didn't listen to him, of course, and kept shooting before he heard a shout, and he turned back just in time to see one of the men getting pulled into the water by a wave.

He let out a laugh, "Oh, yeah, forget to warn you! Watch out for the waves, man. They pull you in, shit!" A bullet flew right past his head, hitting the cave all in front of him.

"Miss me!" JJ moved further into the cave. It was getting smaller, and the walls were getting closer and closer.

JJ took a deep breath, keeping his breathing calm as the walls seemed to be enclosing on him.

"JJ, we can go back, tell JB that it was a dead end." Birdy's voice rang through his head, and he shook his head.

"Can't, I need to keep going." JJ muttered to himself, "Can't, I need to keep going, can't lose the bet." JJ heard his own voice in his head, replying to birdy.

"Forget about the stupid bet. You're having a panic attack, JJ, I know you're afraid of small places, and it's okay." Birdy said,

"No. I can do it, I have to do it." JJ forced himself to go further, "no,I need to do this birdy, or I'll look like a coward!"

"Not to me! You are one of the bravest people I know, J."

"I can do this for you, birdy." JJ muttered to himself, "Will.. you come with me?"

"Always." Birdy replied, and JJ could just picture the smile on her face.

The exit was just through that small hole, and JJ could do it. He did it before with birdy, he can do it again.

JJ could hear the men behind him, and he got on his knees before crawling into the small hole.

He used his phone for the light, and he could feel his breathing quickening.

"Shh, JJ, it's okay, I'm here."

"You're okay. You're safe."

"I'm right here with you, JJ."

Birdy's voice rang through his head as he crawled through the small hole, and he could see the light,

A gunshot rang out, and his ears were ringing, but tiny rocks fell on his head, and he glanced behind him,seeing one of them men crawling behind him, and he looked up, seeing the cave ceiling cracking.

"Fuck!" He cursed, and he tried to crawl faster but he was panicking.

He almost got out when the guy grabbed his leg, and JJ used his other leg to kick the guys arm, and the guy yelled out in pain just as the cave was collapsing.

JJ'S eyes widened. This was it. This is how he would die.

Arms were wrapped around him and pulled him out of the cave as the exit was blocked by it collapsing.

JJ'S chest moved up and down as he took deep breaths, the arms around him felt familiar,

He looked down at the arms around him and noticed the blue bandana, his blue bandana, and he turned his head, his eyes widening.

"Holy shit, JJ, that was fucking close!" Her voice, her face, her poodle hair, and JJ'S eyes watered, but a smile appeared on his face as he turned and threw himself at his saver.

They fell back against the sand, "Birdy! You're alive! You're here, you're really here!"

The arms tightened around him. "I'm Here, JJ. I'm really here."

Wynonna was alive, and she saved him. She was back, and JJ couldn't help the sob of relief and joy that escaped him.

"You are, you really are here, my birdy."

------------------

Word count - 1136

Thoughts?