11. The Cave

-

It took them half the night to arrive at the cave. They had to walk since they couldn't take Rafe's motorcycle without alerting the adults of their presence or alerting the neighborhood.

It was a good thing nobody saw two people carrying shovels in the middle of that. They would surely call the cops on them.

Wynonna had a bad feeling about the whole thing. She would feel a lot better if she had JJ. Sure, Rafe was okay, but he used to hate her. Plus, she knew JJ more than she knew Rafe.

Her grip on the shovel tightened as the sound of the waves reached her ears. "We can't.."

"Nonna, we've been through this already." Rafe told her, annoyed, and Wynonna rolled her eyes at him.

"Not about that! I want that letter now, but the waves! You dumbass!" She snapped, okay, maybe she was terrified.

"Sorry, shit, fuck, look, there's a reason why JJ picked this place out, Rafe," she paused and turned her body to face him.

They were close to the cave now, and the sound of the waves crashing against rocks were loud.

The sun was coming up, "it's dangerous, like really dangerous. The waves are strong enough to take you into the ocean. If not, keep you under the water until you run out of oxygen,"

"We buried it on a sunny day when the waves weren't as crazy, but it was dangerous because the cave got filled with water, and we almost drowned in there." Wynonna told him, and Rafe stared at her.

"Okay...it said today was gonna be sunny, and fucking hot. So let's go." Rafe replied and walked away from her and towards the cave.

Wynonna let out a groan. "Worth a try." She mumbled and rushed to catch up to Rafe, her heart hammered in her chest.

She was usually one for adventure and fun, like she was an adrenaline junkie pretty much, but this involved secrets from her family, and that wasn't as fun as trying to find gold.

Rafe and Wynonna walked into the cave, getting wet as the waves crashed against the rocks. The waves seemed calmed, but still, the bad feeling wouldn't wash away.

"So, where did you bury it?" Rafe questioned slightly, shouting over the sound of the waves, and he glanced back at Wynonna.

"Um.. somewhere around here, I think... no further into the cave." Wynonna mumbled as she walked past him, and rafe followed her.

A sudden, loud, shrilling ringing tone echoed throughout the cave, and Wynonna jumped back, bumping into Rafe, who caught her,

"Babe, that's your phone." Rafe told her , with a smirk on his face, finding it amusing.

"Oh," Wynonna let out a small laugh, "I know that." She pulled out her phone and saw JJ'S name across the screen.

"Don't answer it." Rafe told her, but Wynonna ignored him and answered the phone.

"JJ! Hey, man, how's your morning so far?" Wynonna questioned, and Rafe rolled his eyes at her.

"..birdy, are you okay? You sound weird. Also, are those waves? Are you at the beach this early?" JJ questioned, his voice still full of sleep.

"Yes, turtles need help, man." Wynonna replied, glancing at Rafe.

"Birdy, it's..5 in the morning."

Wynonna grabbed Rafe's hand and lifted it so she could see the time on his watch.

"5..in the morning? Shit, well, you know, saving turtles can't wait. What are you doing up?" Wynonna sent an awkward smile at Rafe, letting go of his hand.