19//Hero to the Rescue

"How is she doing?"

"How is she doing?"

"Not good."

"I figured," he huffs from the other side of the door. "When it happened to me I was the same way."

"Do you know how to help her?"

I swing open my office door, revealing the shocked faces of my Dad and Ryan. "You know I can hear everything you two are saying right?"

My Dad straightens his tie, rearranging his face as well to appear as a caring father. "May I come in Princess?"

"Depends," I shift all my weight onto one hip, "are we going to discuss work or him?"

"I think we discuss enough work as it is," he says, pushing past me into my office.

With a soft derisive breath and a roll of my eyes I close the door, leaving Ryan to stand guard outside my door.

"Because we're at work," I say, turning to him, "that's a normal thing to do."

My Dad leans against my desk, his arms crossed over his chest. I can't believe he's going to be a father again. I mean he's not very old but still, I'm twenty one.

It's funny that when I heard the news I was so sure that my little sister was sending me another miracle, actually, no, I know she did. But as soon as I heard those three words leave Ryan's lips, all happy thoughts about miracles and angels were gone.

"I wanted to give you some advice," he says softly.

"About work," I question hopeful.

"Alexandria, I'm being serious."

"And I am too, at work where you're only supposed to discuss work, not personal relationships."

"Then how are we supposed to talk about this when you never leave work!"

"I do," I say quietly, "just this morning I went out to get a bagel from the down the street."

"Princess," he sighs, running a hand down his tired face. "I know you're hurting right now and I want to help."

"You're my dad. How in the world are you supposed to help me?"

He takes a deep breath before continuing. "I was in your position too at one point Alexandria. Your mother left me after realizing she didn't want to live my kind of life."

I stand frozen in my spot, trying not to let my thoughts show on my face but who am I kidding? My dad could be able to tell what Kristin Stewart was thinking if he had the chance.

I knew that my mom never liked his money because she came from none and the difference was too much for her but I never knew that she actually left him! I always thought of my parents as this happy in love couple, never have I imagined that they would be separated for even a day.