𝑩𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔

Chapter twenty nine
Elora

"Look, we escaped from the Dai Li, we got Appa back, I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll," Sokka suggests optimistically.

For the moment, we found refuge behind a large rock that shielded us from the lake's view. We just wanted a few precious minutes to revel in Appa's return without interruption.

"Katara's right. One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," I interject, nodding in agreement with her assessment.

"But," I continue, turning to Sokka, "you're also right. If we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we need the Earth King's support. We can't afford to waste any time."

"What makes you think we'll get it?" Toph asks, her skepticism evident in her tone. "I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang."

"And when has that ever stopped us?" I respond with a raised brow, a hint of determination in my voice.

"Let's fly."

All of us clamber onto Appa's bare back, with Aang taking his usual position at the bison's head. As we soar through the air, the wind buffets us, making it difficult to maintain a secure hold on Appa's fur. Toph's plea interrupts the rush of air, "Can we please buy a new saddle? Riding bareback is terrifying!"

"I agree, but it shouldn't be too much farther now!" I shout over the wind, hoping to reassure her as we continue our journey.

"There it is!" Sokka's voice carries over the rush of wind. Ahead of us sprawls a massive area, encompassed by sturdy walls and adorned with grand, warm-hued buildings that exude an aura of earth kingdom royalty.

As we draw nearer, Sokka's tone lightens, filled with a hint of excitement, "That whole thing is the palace. The Earth King's chamber should be in the center."

As we soared closer to the Earth King's palace, anticipation mixed with apprehension filled the air. The sprawling grounds unfolded beneath us, adorned with majestic structures that exuded the regal aura of the Earth Kingdom. The warm hues of the palace's architecture stood out against the backdrop of the expansive landscape, creating a striking visual contrast.

"We have to be careful. Long Feng's probably warned the king that we're coming," I caution, my words weighed down by the gravity of our mission. Each passing moment seemed to amplify the sense of unease that lingered within our group.

"Why would you assume that? If you ask me, I think we're just gonna sail right in.. aaAAHH!" The sudden eruption of a massive boulder from below jolts us mid-flight, sending shockwaves through our bodies. The unexpected assault catches us off guard, eliciting startled cries and frantic movements as we struggle to maintain our balance on Appa's back.

Toph's voice rises in panicked inquiry, "What was that!?"

Sokka's eyes widen in alarm as he scans the scene below, his voice tense with urgency, "Surface-to-air rocks! More incoming!" The sight of the earthbenders launching their assault is a stark reminder of the dangers that await us, casting a shadow over our already precarious mission to seek the Earth King's support.

As another boulders hurtle toward us, I feel the rush of adrenaline course through my veins. With swift precision, I focus my energy and unleash a powerful earthbending strike, shattering the projectile into a cloud of debris before it can reach us. The fragments scatter in all directions as we swiftly navigate through the ensuing dust cloud, our movements fluid and coordinated despite the chaos surrounding us.