𝑺𝒖𝒏𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒆𝒓𝒔

Chapter twenty five
Elora

As we trudged along the path toward Ba Sing Se, Aang's unexpected return on his glider sent a jolt of anxiety rippling through me. Katara, was quick to voice our collective concerns.

"Aang, what's going on? We thought you were out searching for Appa," she questioned, her tone laced with worry.

With a solemn expression, Aang explained, "I was, but something... something big stopped me." His words hung heavy in the air, urging us to speed our pace towards the city walls.

Upon reaching Ba Sing Se's towering fortifications, Toph and I used our bending prowess to scale the walls swiftly. Surprisingly, the guards stationed atop paid us little mind, their vigilance seemingly dulled by complacency or preoccupation.

Sokka pressed Aang for details. "So, what's the big deal that brought you back?"

Aang gestured toward the horizon, directing our gaze downward to a menacing sight—a colossal drill hurtling toward the city with ominous intent. In that moment, a surge of apprehension washed over me, mingling with the urgency of impending danger.

Ying's panicked outburst reverberated through our group, punctuating the grim realization that even within the supposed safety of Ba Sing Se's walls, danger lurked.

As the tension escalated, we were suddenly confronted by two soldiers, their stern voices cutting through the chaos.

"Civilians aren't permitted on the wall," one of them declared, his gaze unwavering as he addressed us.

Stepping forward, I assumed the responsibility thrust upon me. "I'm the Avatar. Take me to whoever's in charge," I asserted, a sense of urgency infusing my words as I sought to confront the looming threat head-on.

They complied with our request, escorting us to another figure who exuded an air of authority. His demeanor oozed with confidence and pride as he addressed us.

"It is an honor to welcome you to the outer wall, young Avatar," he began, his tone formal and respectful, "but your assistance is not needed here."

"Not needed?" I repeated incredulously, taken aback by his dismissal.

The general rose from his seat, his posture conveying an unwavering sense of authority. "Not needed," he reiterated firmly. "I have the situation fully under control. Rest assured, the Fire Nation poses no threat to breach this wall. Many have attempted to penetrate it, but none have succeeded."

Toph, ever the provocateur, interjected with her characteristic bluntness. "What about the Dragon of the West?" she challenged, her words piercing through the air with a hint of skepticism.

I crossed my arms, silently echoing her sentiment. "He managed to breach the wall," I added,

"Well, technically, yes, but he was swiftly dealt with. Nevertheless, that's why the city is named Ba Sing Se. It's the impenetrable city. They don't call it Na Sing Se," he chuckled, but his laughter quickly faded as he noticed our puzzled expressions. "That means 'penetrable city.'"

Toph let out an exasperated groan. "Yeah, thanks for the history lesson, but we still have the drill problem."

The general's chest puffed up with pride. "Not for long. To halt its advance, I've dispatched an elite platoon of earthbenders known as the Terra Team."

Sokka nodded thoughtfully. "That's a good group name. Very catchy."

As the man peered through a telescope positioned at the edge of the wall, the rest of us approached to get a glimpse of what lay beyond.